back arrow iconBack to News

February 13, 2023

ATF Q&A: Licensing

What are the compliance options for an FFL holder in possession of firearms equipped with a "stabilizing brace," which is an SBR, after the effective date of the final rule?

  • For SBRs equipped with a “stabilizing brace” that are in their possession, complete and submit through the eForms system a Notice of Firearms Manufactured or Imported, ATF Form 2 within 120-days from the date of publication in the Federal Register.
  • Permanently remove or alter the “stabilizing brace” so that it cannot be reattached and thereby removing it from regulation as a “firearm” under the NFA.
  • Remove the short barrel and attach a 16-inch or longer rifled barrel to the firearm thus removing it from the provisions of the NFA.
  • Turn the firearm into your local ATF office.
  • Destroy the firearm. For more information go to How to Properly Destroy Firearms | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (


Guidance is provided by The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF).


More information on the Factoring Criteria for Firearms with Attached “Stabilizing Braces” from the ATF here

Related FAQs