February 13, 2023
ATF Q&A: Licensing
What are the compliance options for an FFL holder in possession of firearms equipped with a "stabilizing brace," which is an SBR, after the effective date of the final rule?
- For SBRs equipped with a “stabilizing brace” that are in their possession, complete and submit through the eForms system a Notice of Firearms Manufactured or Imported, ATF Form 2 within 120-days from the date of publication in the Federal Register.
- Permanently remove or alter the “stabilizing brace” so that it cannot be reattached and thereby removing it from regulation as a “firearm” under the NFA.
- Remove the short barrel and attach a 16-inch or longer rifled barrel to the firearm thus removing it from the provisions of the NFA.
- Turn the firearm into your local ATF office.
- Destroy the firearm. For more information go to How to Properly Destroy Firearms | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (atf.gov).
Guidance is provided by The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF).