How to Get Started Hunting
Getting the right introduction to hunting is important. Here are a few tips on getting started and also some valuable resources for new and experienced hunters alike.
- Find your state wildlife agency and review your state’s requirements.
- Find a hunter education course near you.
- Buy a license.
- Some states offer an “apprentice hunting license.” If your state is one of these, you may be allowed to head afield with an experienced hunter before taking a hunter education course.
- Before the hunt, review the rules of firearm safety.
- Practice your shooting skills at a range near you.
- Read The Hunter and Conservation
- Read The Ethical Hunter
- Learn more about game bird species.
- Learn more about game animal species.
- Explore and get to know the area you plan to hunt.
- Pattern the game.
- Enjoy a safe and productive hunting season.