July 28, 2016
Olympians Have Rio in Their Sights
Olympic fever will settle across the country in the coming weeks. The Olympics will kick off next Friday, August 5, in Rio de Janeiro, followed by the Paralympics beginning on September 7. Among the athletes who will congregate in Brazil will be 25 of our American target shooters. These Olympians have had their sights set for Rio for some time, working and perfecting their craft to lock in a spot on the national team. Some, like Kim Rhode, have made the trek on the Olympic path before, while newcomers such as Morgan Craft are attending their first Games. Each will face fierce competition as they represent the United States in our beloved shooting sports on the international stage.
Our partners at USA Shooting, the National Governing Body for the sport of shooting, have prepared a great Olympic and Paralympic Preview with resources to help you connect your readers and viewers with both the Olympic and Paralympic Games during this exciting time. Help share the story of Olympic and Paralympic target shooters through resources referenced below.
- Facts to share (page 60) – Why is shooting an Olympic sport? Share this information and more on the shooting sports across your media channels in the days that lead up to the big event.
- Connect with your local Olympians (page 10) – Find profiles of each athlete including hometowns and more in profiles of America’s Shooting Team.
- Olympic Schedule (page 3) – skeet, trap, pistol? Find out when each event occurs with the schedule of events.
- Watch – Get your digital devices ready! NBC will stream every competition live, so the entire shooting competition will be available via their website (NBCOlympics.com) and their app (NBC Sports App). Users will have to authenticate with their cable or satellite provider (just like with HBO Go).
- Get Social (page 7) – Follow USA Shooting and individual athletes as they document their Rio experiences.
For 50 million Americans, target shooting is a recreational activity, but for USA Shooting Team athletes target shooting is a lifetime passion and pursuit. Connect with the Olympians throughout the coming weeks and share their stories with your audiences to help support them, increase awareness of the USA Shooting Team and build excitement for Olympic and Paralympic target shooting events.
This year make shooting your Olympic sport.
For more information on USA Shooting, please contact Kevin Neuendorf at [email protected].