November 17, 2017
SHOT Week: SHOT Show University
As the Senior Director of Retailer Services for NSSF, I and my team spend months curating the topics for SHOT Show University, and then recruiting top-level speakers who can pass on their subject-matter expertise to our retailers and range owners. Year after year this educational forum is a sell-out and receives overwhelmingly positive reviews post-show. That makes each year hard to improve — but we think we did just that with the 2018 SHOT Show University lineup.
2018 SHOT Show University Lineup
As always, there are four learning tracks to SHOT Show University: ATF Compliance, Retailer 101, Range Operations and our advanced Master’s Class. Anyone can participate either fully in a dedicated track or pick and choose the session across the tracks that best suit their needs.
- ATF Compliance — This track is a great one for startup FFLs and recently on-boarded FFL counter staff and records keepers who will regularly handle form 4473s and A&D books. It is also a great refresher for experienced FFLs. All four sessions will be moderated by NSSF Compliance Consultant Team Members Wally Nelson and Harry McCabe and include:
- The 4473 and You — 9:45-10:45 a.m.
- The Next Piece of the Compliance Puzzle: The A&D book — 11:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
- Winning the ATF inspection — 1:00-2:00 p.m.
- NFA Compliance — 2:15-3:15 p.m.
- Retailing 101 — A track designed for FFLs of all experience levels from startup to well-established, this track focuses on best business practices. Sessions include:
- Dealer Liability for Firearms-Related Injuries — 9:45-10:45 a.m. Moderated by Kutak Rock, LLP’s Joe Kavan.
- Buying vs. Leasing: Everything in Life is Negotiable — 11:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. Moderated by small-business expert Robbie Brown.
- Technologies, Trends, Services and Tools Every FFL Needs to Know — 1:00-2:00 p.m. Moderated by technology consultant Gene Marks.
- Evaluate the Health of Your Business — 2:15-3:15 p.m. Moderated by small-business expert Robbie Brown.
- Range Operations — Whether you’re a veteran range operator, looking to establish your first or adding on and expanding your current firearms range, this is the place you want to be. Sessions include:
- New Range Technologies — 9:45-10:45 a.m. Moderated by veteran firearms retail expert and NSSF Range Committee Doug VanderWoude.
- Evolution of the Modern Range — 11:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. Moderated by the managing member of NexGen Range Consulting and NSSF Range Action Specialist Team Member Jeff Swanson.
- Growing Your Membership by Harnessing the Power of Technology — 1:00-2:00 p.m. Moderated by EZFacilty Product Manager Mike Vidal and best-selling author and membership expert Erik Charles Russell.
- Data Collection for Small Businesses — 2:15-3:15 p.m. Moderated by professional range consultant Bryan Stear.
- Master’s Class — Designed for established retailers and range owners, especially those who’ve “seen it all, done it all,” this track features four sessions sure to innovate and invigorate, including:
- Leadership Through Influence — 9:45-10:45 a.m. Moderated by Pete Smith, professional development coach and owner of the leadership development firm SmithImpact.
- New Media Marketing — 11:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. Moderated by internationally sought-after technology and social media speaker Frank Furness, CSP.
- Maintaining Retail Relevancy — 1:00-2:00 p.m. Moderated by AcuSport’s Director of Retail Development/Business Consultant Hank Yacek.
- Your Exit: How Smart Business Owners Are Rapidly Building Their Organizational Value — 2:15-3:15 p.m. Moderated by perennial SHOT Show University speaker favorite Gene Marks.
Taking place Monday, Jan. 22, the day before the show opens, the forum begins with an impactful keynote address by shooting superstar and industry ambassador Julie Golob, who will be discussing employee engagement and retention. Closing out the 2018 SHOT Show University will be keynote speaker John O’Leary, author of “ON FIRE: The 7 Choices to Ignite a Radically Inspired Life,” which became an instant No. 1 National Bestseller when it sold 30,000 copies in its first week of publication. Some people know how to grab your attention. Others know how to grab your heart. John O’Leary does both — and once you hear him speak, you’ll know there’s almost nothing in your life you can’t overcome.
We encourage you to visit SHOTShow.org, click in the “Education” heading at the top of the page and peruse the complete session details and speaker biographies for SHOT Show University. When you’ve completed registration to attend the show, just log in to your account at SHOTShow.org and add the courses you need to your shopping cart. Many sessions are already near sell-out so it’s important to make your reservations now. We’re looking forward to seeing you in Las Vegas!