Voters Do Not Support Lawsuits Against Firearms Manufacturers, Retailers for Gun Crime, Poll Finds
Seven of 10 American voters do not support allowing crime victims to sue firearm manufacturers and retailers when firearms they made or sold lawfully after background checks are used illegally in crime. Instead, voters from across political parties and geographic regions back the defense that the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (PLCAA) provides the firearms industry. More than 70 percent of voters disagree with a position one presidential candidate has made a centerpiece of her campaign. Like that candidate, others running for federal office have chosen to run against and misrepresent this decade-old law that prevents crime victims from suing firearm manufacturers and retailers who have not broken any laws. Read more.
- NSSF PRAISES U.S. SENATE PASSAGE OF BIPARTISAN SPORTSMEN'S ACT . . . NSSF has praised U.S. Senate passage of the Bipartisan Sportsmen's Act. The act was passed as an amendment to S.2012, the Energy Policy Modernization Act. Similar legislation passed the House of Representatives earlier in the 114th Congress. As a result, the vote brings the Bipartisan Sportsmen's package closer to enactment than ever before.
- STATE ROUNDUP . . . The California Senate Public Safety Committee has approved SB 880, expanding California's "assault weapons" ban to include many semi-automatic firearms capable of accepting a detachable magazine and with certain other features. NSSF strongly opposes SB 880. In Georgia, House Bill 1060, with NSSF-initiated provisions that would protect those in the lawful commerce of firearms or ammunition products against financial services discrimination, still awaits Gov. Nathan Deal's action. Please contact Gov. Deal and respectfully urge him to sign HB 1060 into law.
Read NSSF's latest Government Relations Update for more.
- #GUNVOTE IN THE TUESDAY PRIMARIES . . . Presidential primary elections are being held Tuesday in Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania and Rhode Island as the clock ticks down to the party conventions. To help you evaluate candidates' positions on Second Amendment and sportsmen's issues, NSSF provides #GUNVOTE. This voter education site is updated many times a week with news of interest. Newly added are delegate counts. #GUNVOTE also provides election news and breaking updates on Facebook and on Twitter (@GUNVOTE).
- ORDER #GUNVOTE STICKERS . . . Show your support and order #GUNVOTE stickers to display on vehicles, in your office, at events and elsewhere to get the word out. There is too much at stake this election year not to be 100 percent committed. Don't risk your rights. #GUNVOTE. If you are an NSSF Member, please order from the NSSF Member shopping cart to receive a member discount. Stickers are priced $1 each and a minimum order of 15 stickers is required.
SHOT Show Exhibitor Academy
- REGISTRATION OPEN FOR 2016 SHOT SHOW EXHIBITOR ACADEMY . . . Offered for the third year running, the 2016 SHOT Show Exhibitor Academy will take place June 20-22 in Las Vegas, Nevada. During the academy, those exhibitors attending will hear from top-notch speakers discussing ways to realize the most return on the investment they make when attending SHOT Show in January, including booth staffing, booth design, social media efforts both before and after the show and much more. Learn more.
- NSSF WEBINAR THIS THURSDAY: BENEFITS OF FINANCIAL BENCHMARKING SURVEY . . . One of the most beneficial studies NSSF conducts for its retailer and range members is the financial benchmarking survey. Participants that complete the survey receive a free Financial Benchmarking report and access to an online reporting tool that can enhance their understanding when financially comparing their businesses to others. NSSF members who don't participate can purchase the report for $250. The report is $2,500 for non-members. Learn more about the report during the webinar on April 28, from 3-4 p.m. EST. Register for the webinar today.
- HOW TO START A PODCAST OF YOUR VERY OWN . . . Are you ready to start your own podcast? Learn the basics for planning, recording and hosting a podcast for your business in NSSF's latest retailer blog post. Just one of many marketing tools so important to providing added value to your current customers, as well as reaching new ones, podcasts can be one more element that makes your business a go-to resource. Read more.
- ATF Q&A . . . Many great questions came in on our 24/7 NSSF member compliance hotline last week. One question asks what an FFL should do when a firearms trace is requested. Another question asks if a NICS background check expires 30 days from when the check was initiated, or from when a "proceed" is issued.
- DID YOU KNOW? . . . Whether your business is a small town five-person operation or a 500-person enterprise with multiple locations, hiring the right people is key to your success. A prominent employment screening company offers NSSF members a substantial discount on employee background checks. Learn more.
NSSF Industry Summit
- CELERANT TECHNOLOGY CORP. IS NEWEST SPONSOR OF 2016 NSSF INDUSTRY SUMMIT . . . NSSF is pleased to announce that Celerant Technology Corp.
has agreed to sponsor the 2016 NSSF Industry Summit at the Bronze level. Headquartered in Staten Island, New York, with satellite offices in Georgia, Ohio, Oklahoma, Colorado and California, Celerant is a provider of retail management software systems. Read more.
Firearms Industry Compliance Conference
- FINAL DAYS TO REGISTER FOR CONFERENCE . . . The third annual Firearms Industry Compliance Conference (FICC), May 2-4 in Atlanta, features three learning tracks and timely discussions of how the regulatory environment has evolved over the past two years. Pre-conference sessions will be held May 2 to provide FFLs concentrated discussions on firearms industry technology and federal firearm regulations. Learn more about the conference here, view the agenda and register today. For sponsorship opportunities contact Chris Tatulli at email@example.com and (203) 426-1320 ext. 214.
- EPICOR SPONSORS FICC AT GOLD LEVEL . . . Orchid Advisors and NSSF are pleased to announce that Epicor Software Corporation, a global provider of industry-specific enterprise software to promote business growth, has agreed to sponsor this year's Firearms Industry Compliance Conference (FICC) at the Gold level. Headquartered in Austin, Texas, Epicor is a global leader in business software solutions serving approximately 20,000 customers in over 150 countries, including the Epicor FFL Compliance Manager. Read more.
- OCR GLOBAL TRADE MANAGEMENT SPONSORS FICC AT BRONZE LEVEL
. . . Orchid Advisors and NSSF are pleased to announce that OCR Global Trade Management has agreed to sponsor the 2016 Firearm Industry Compliance Conference (FICC) at the Bronze level. Headquartered in Washington, D.C., OCR is a leading provider of international trade compliance solutions. Read more.
News of Note
| content provided by
FOUR BEST PRACTICES FOR FIREARM SERIAL NUMBER TRACKING . . . As the fourth step in our Serial Number Management process, firearm serial number recording should largely be addressed through the best practices discussed in serial number reservation, application and tracking. We will use this final installment to highlight methodologies that strengthen the overall Serial Number Management approach. Orchid Advisors is an endorsed compliance information provider for NSSF members.
- PRAISE FOR NSSF MATCHING REWARD OFFERS . . . Bearing Arms writer Jenn Jacques has taken note that when thefts occur at firearms retailers, NSSF assists investigators by matching ATF reward offers for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the perpetrators. "I hope people see how much character the NSSF is showing here. By ponying up cash to help the ATF catch gun thieves and recover stolen weapons, the National Shooting Sports Foundation is proving once again they put their priorities over profit."
- FIREARMS INDUSTRY JOBS . . . Visit jobs.nssf.org for current employment opportunities in the shooting, hunting and outdoor industry. Unmatched job listing exposure, easy online job management, résumé search and résumé uploading for job seekers gives NSSF members and non-members more opportunities than ever before.
"To promote, protect and preserve hunting and the shooting sports."
Visit the NSSF website and see how we accomplish this mission.
COPYRIGHT © 2016 by National Shooting Sports Foundation, Inc. Permission is granted for broadcast, publication, retransmission to email lists, Websites or any other copying or storage, in any medium, online or not, if 1) the text is forwarded in its entirety, including this paragraph, and 2) no fee is charged. "Bullet Points®," "National Shooting Sports Foundation®," "NSSF®," and all other trade names, trademarks, service marks, logos and images of the National Shooting Sports Foundation appearing in this publication are the sole property of the Foundation and may not be used without the Foundation's prior express written permission. All other trade names, trademarks, service marks, logos and images appearing in this publication are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.