Retailers, NSSF File Federal Action Against Mass. Attorney General's 'Enforcement Notice'
LAWSUIT STATES OVERSTEP OF AUTHORITY . . . Four Massachusetts firearms retailers joined by NSSF filed action Thursday in United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts to challenge on Constitutional grounds the "Enforcement Notice" issued by state Attorney General Maura Healey. The lawsuit states that her office overstepped its legal authority and deprived the retailers of their due process protections guaranteed under the U.S. Constitution. The action seeks declaratory relief and a permanent injunction enjoining enforcement.
- N.J. MICROSTAMPING BILL PASSES COMMITTEE . . . A-3934, a bill requiring new handguns being sold in New Jersey to be equipped with unreliable microstamping technology, was passed Friday by the General Assembly's Law and Public Safety Committee but has been sent to the Appropriations Committee for further review. A University of California, Davis, study found only 20 percent of casings recovered from microstamped firearms were legible. NSSF will continue to work to oppose passage of this legislation.
- INDUSTRY MEMBERS — INVITE YOUR ELECTED OFFICIALS TO VISIT . . . The better your representatives in Washington and your state capital understand your business, the more responsive they can be to issues of concern. Office holders are generally eager to meet constituents and learn about your companies. NSSF has put together an easy-to-use "Take Your Elected Official to Work" guide. The time after the election and before the new legislative sessions start in January provides an especially good window to help educate newly elected or re-elected legislators.
Read NSSF's latest Government Relations Update for more.
- SILENCERCO JOINS #GUNVOTE PRESIDENT'S CLUB WITH $100,000 CONTRIBUTION . . . SilencerCo has joined #GUNVOTE's President's Club, contributing $100,000 in support of the association's critical voter registration and education campaign. "NSSF's #GUNVOTE campaign is the one place we believe we can make a difference in these elections, and we are proud to support it," said Joshua Waldron, SilencerCo CEO. Read more.
- TAURUS GIVES $50,000 TO #GUNVOTE . . . NSSF is pleased to announce that Taurus has joined #GUNVOTE's Ambassador Club, contributing $50,000 in support of the association's critical voter registration and education campaign. Read more.
- VIRAL VIDEO: IS HILLARY CLINTON FOR GUN CONFISCATION? . . . Hillary Clinton has said publicly that she sees Australia's gun confiscation as a successful model that should be considered in the U.S. But Victoria, Australia, Parliament Member Jeff Bourman describes his country's firearm confiscation program as wasteful and ineffective, explaining why Americans should remain alert to attacks on their 2nd Amendment right. This #GUNVOTE video, posted a few days ago, has reached over 700,000 people on social media.
- JOIN YOUR INDUSTRY'S #GUNVOTE EFFORT TODAY . . . SIG SAUER, Gallery of Guns, SinterFire, Steiner Optics, Trulock and Vance Outdoors are among more the 500 companies throughout our industry proudly displaying the #GUNVOTE icon on their websites. Your company should, too. Download and post the #GUNVOTE icon and link it to www.gunvote.org. NSSF's #GUNVOTE is a voter registration and education campaign platform for use by firearms industry manufacturers, wholesalers, distributors, retailers and media members, as well as the pro-Second Amendment customer.
- How You Can Help:
- Download and post the #GUNVOTE icon to your website and link it to gunvote.org.
- Visit the #GUNVOTE website and encourage others to do the same.
- Help spread the word on social media and follow #GUNVOTE on Facebook and Twitter (@GUNVOTE).
- Contribute to #GUNVOTE.
- TROY ACOUSTICS CEO TO SPEAK AT NSSF RANGE COMPLIANCE WORKSHOP . . . Acoustics expert and Troy Acoustics CEO Bill Bergiadis has joined the growing list of firearms range and retail professionals speaking at NSSF's fall Lead Management and OSHA Compliance Workshop, taking place October 16-18 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Read more.
- ATF Q&A . . . More great questions came in on our 24/7 NSSF member compliance hotline last week. One question relates to the importer that should be entered into the A&D book when the foreign manufacturer and the importer have the same company name.
- DID YOU KNOW? . . . NSSF has partnered with a top-end security company to offer NSSF members a special discount on alarm monitoring services. Learn more.
- USITC FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION DATA FOR JULY . . . NSSF tracks and reports monthly and quarterly U.S. import and export units for several sporting arms, ammunition and optics categories from the U.S. International Trade Commission. See a complete breakdown for July 2016 compared to July 2015. NSSF members may access additional historical import and export data by logging in.
- UPDATED 'PROFILE OF TODAY'S HUNTER' REPORT . . . NSSF has updated its Industry Intelligence Report "A Profile of Today's Hunter" that highlights the benefits of hunting and summarizes the financial contribution and economic impact of American hunters. It contains the latest data on hunting license sales and Firearms and Ammunition Excise Tax (FAET) information. Learn more.
News of Note
- NSSF RESPONDS TO SURVEY COVERAGE . . . Northeastern University and Harvard University last week selectively pre-released results of a survey financed by the Joyce Foundation, which has long funded gun control causes. This pre-release was not accompanied by an explanation of survey methodology, but it did generate considerable media attention for highly dubious findings. The report appears to compare online results with a phone survey conducted in 1994, comparing methodological apples to oranges. And that's just the beginning. Read the NSSF statement.
- POMA SELECTS LOUISIANA FOR CONFERENCE . . . The Professional Outdoor Media Association has chosen Shreveport-Bossier, Louisiana, as the location for its 2017 POMA Business Conference, to be held June 13-17. Hosts for the conference are Shreveport-Bossier Sports Convention and Tourist Bureau, Hilton Shreveport and Shreveport Convention Center.
- FIREARMS INDUSTRY JOBS . . . Visit jobs.nssf.org for current employment opportunities in the shooting, hunting and outdoor industry. Unmatched job listing exposure, easy online job management, résumé search and résumé uploading for job seekers gives NSSF members and non-members more opportunities than ever before.
"To promote, protect and preserve hunting and the shooting sports."
Visit the NSSF website and see how we accomplish this mission.
COPYRIGHT © 2016 by National Shooting Sports Foundation, Inc. Permission is granted for broadcast, publication, retransmission to email lists, Websites or any other copying or storage, in any medium, online or not, if 1) the text is forwarded in its entirety, including this paragraph, and 2) no fee is charged. "Bullet Points®," "National Shooting Sports Foundation®," "NSSF®," and all other trade names, trademarks, service marks, logos and images of the National Shooting Sports Foundation appearing in this publication are the sole property of the Foundation and may not be used without the Foundation's prior express written permission. All other trade names, trademarks, service marks, logos and images appearing in this publication are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.