Shooting Sports Fantasy Camp
Coming to Las Vegas March 31
TRAIN WITH THE PROS . . . Have you ever dreamed of being a professional shooter?
Well, does NSSF have an opportunity for you! Come and live the dream in Las Vegas March 31-April 2 at the inaugural Shooting Sports Fantasy Camp. Join six of the top pro shooters in the world for a weekend of handgun shooting, learning from the pros, handgun shooting, friendly competition, making new friends, and, oh yeah—more handgun shooting (more than 30,000 rounds of ammo will be sent downrange over the weekend)! Learn more and register at shootingsportsfantasycamp.com.
- INDUSTRY PROTECTION BILLS INTRODUCED IN GEORGIA, MISSOURI; KANSAS HEARING . . . NSSF-supported Firearms Industry Nondiscrimination (FIND) bills have been introduced in Georgia and Missouri. The measures would prohibit the discriminatory refusal to provide credit or financial services to those engaged in the lawful commerce of firearms or ammunition products. The Kansas FIND Act, SB 331, received a hearing in the State Senate Federal and State Affairs Committee last week at which NSSF Manager of State Affairs Trevor Santos testified in support of the measure.
- VIRGINIA GOVERNOR SLAMMED AFTER REVERSING COURSE ON RECIPROCITY . . . Everytown for Gun Safety, the lead Bloomberg-funded gun control group, led the chorus of jeering directed at Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D) after he reached agreement with Republicans to recognize most out-of-state concealed-handgun permits. The agreement requires General Assembly approval and would reverse Democratic Attorney General Mark R. Herring's decision last month to sever reciprocity rights for concealed carry holders in 25 states. Read the Washington Post account.
- BLOOMBERG ANTI-GUN GROUPS ACTIVE . . .The states are battle grounds for anti-gun political activity funded by billionaire Michael Bloomberg. In Nevada, Everytown for Gun Safety has committed nearly $3 million so far in the effort to advance universal background checks through a ballot initiative. In Maine, Bloomberg activists delivered petitions to the secretary of state's office to place a similar initiative on that state's ballot. Learning of another Bloomberg-fronted Maine organization's plans, NSSF issued an alert to all FFLs in the state.
- NSSF CONGRESSIONAL FLY-IN, APRIL 12-13 . . . Due to a change in the Congressional session calendar, the dates for the 2016 NSSF Congressional Fly-In in Washington, D.C., have moved to April 12-13 from April 5-6. This is a great opportunity for leaders from NSSF Voting Member companies and supporting distributor and manufacturing member companies, as well as leading retailers, to meet with members of Congress. More details, including registration and hotel information, are coming soon.
- FEDERAL AND STATE ROUNDUP . . . U.S. Sen. James Inhofe (R-Okla.) has introduced the NSSF-supported Alternative Ammunition Manufacturing Act (S.2444) to help ensure manufacturers gain the certainty needed to produce alternative ammunition. NSSF is seeking to remove Sunday hunting prohibitions in West Virginia. New Jersey Democrats have begun the process to re-send already-vetoed legislation to Gov. Chris Christie to replace one ill-fated "smart gun" mandate with another requiring firearms retailers to carry in inventory at least one model of an authorized-user technology equipped firearm.
Read NSSF's latest Government Relations Update for more.
- 2016 NSSF RIMFIRE CHALLENGE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP VENUE ANNOUNCED
. . . NSSF is pleased to announce that it has selected Cavern Cove Competition Range as the host range of the 2016 NSSF Rimfire Challenge World Championship. The Cavern Cove Competition Range shooting facility is located in Woodville, Alabama. The 2016 Rimfire Challenge World Championship will take place Oct. 14-16. Read more.
- NSSF WELCOMES JUDY BENDER TO FFL COMPLIANCE CONSULTANT TEAM . . . NSSF is pleased to announce that former career ATF investigator Judy Bender has joined the organization's highly respected FFL Compliance Consultant team. Adding Bender's more than 40 years of ATF expertise to our talented roster of compliance consultants goes a long way towards helping firearms retailers remain complaint, law-abiding and ethical businesses. Read more.
- ATF Q&A . . . More great questions came in on our 24/7 NSSF member compliance hotline last week. One question asks who is typically categorized as a "nonimmigrant alien." Another question asks how many firearms must be sold to be considered "engaged in the business."
- DID YOU KNOW? . . . NSSF has partnered with a U.S company to provide our members with a discount on safety markers that demonstrate a firearm's chamber is unloaded. Learn more.
- NEWEST NSSF SURVEY TRACKER AVAILABLE . . . The NSSF Survey Tracker, sourced by Southwick Associates' online panel at HunterSurvey.com, is a monitoring service using an online panel of active hunters and target shooters. The December 2015 edition posts Market Leaders for shotgun ammunition and for balls, bullets or shot, in addition to responses to questions regarding hunting license purchases. NSSF members may view this latest edition and historical survey trackers by logging in.
- POST-SHOW SURVEYS GOING OUT THIS WEEK . . . All SHOT Show attendees and exhibitors should keep an eye on their email inboxes this week. Our post-show surveys are being deployed. Each year, we continue to make many improvements based on your feedback, and we'll do so again for next year's show. Please take the time to provide us with your feedback. What did we do right? What could be improved upon? Please let us know. All of your input will be heard.
- SHOT SHOW AUCTION RAISES NEARLY $31,000 . . . The 2016 SHOT Show auction on GunBroker.com, featuring a series of "Western Heritage" firearms and a knife highlighting the artistry of legendary and modern names in the sporting firearms industry, yielded a total of $30,966 in support of America's hunting and shooting sports heritage. A newly reintroduced Winchester Model 1866, fully engraved by Baron Engraving, brought a high bid of $14,591.00. The rifle displayed the serial number 1WIN662016 to celebrate the return of this classic lever action in 2016. SHOT Show auction is administered for NSSF by the Hunting Heritage Trust.
News of Note
- VEILLEUX JOINS NSSF BOARD OF GOVERNORS . . . The NSSF Board of Governors has announced the appointment of its newest board member, Dennis Veilleux, President and CEO of Colt's Manufacturing Co. Veilleux has served as Colt's President and CEO since 2013. Veilleux's career in the industry also includes positions with GE Armament, Ruger and FN Group. Read more.
- ATA's GRAND AMERICAN TO CONTINUE IN SPARTA IN 2016 . . . The Illinois Department of Natural Resources and the Amateur Trapshooting Association assured the nation's target shooting community that shooting events scheduled for this summer will continue at the World Shooting and Recreational Complex, Sparta Illinois. Read more.
- SIG ADDS JOBS IN ARKANSAS . . . SIG Sauer will open a new ammunition-manufacturing facility in Arkansas, adding at least 50 new jobs in the state, according to a New Hampshire Business Review story. About a year ago, the New Hampshire-based firearms manufacturer began producing ammunition. "There is nothing negative about New Hampshire," said SIG Sauer's Tom Taylor in the article. "It's just that Arkansas was very, very aggressive."
- FIREARMS INDUSTRY JOBS . . . Visit jobs.nssf.org for current employment opportunities in the shooting, hunting and outdoor industry. Unmatched job listing exposure, easy online job management, résumé search and résumé uploading for job seekers gives NSSF members and non-members more opportunities than ever before.
"To promote, protect and preserve hunting and the shooting sports."
Visit the NSSF website and see how we accomplish this mission.
COPYRIGHT © 2016 by National Shooting Sports Foundation, Inc. Permission is granted for broadcast, publication, retransmission to email lists, Websites or any other copying or storage, in any medium, online or not, if 1) the text is forwarded in its entirety, including this paragraph, and 2) no fee is charged. "Bullet Points®," "National Shooting Sports Foundation®," "NSSF®," and all other trade names, trademarks, service marks, logos and images of the National Shooting Sports Foundation appearing in this publication are the sole property of the Foundation and may not be used without the Foundation's prior express written permission. All other trade names, trademarks, service marks, logos and images appearing in this publication are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.