Why First Shots?
NSSF’s First Shots program has helped introduce thousands of newcomers to the shooting sports at local ranges nationwide. The program is a valuable tool for ranges in attracting newcomers to your range and to our sports.
With First Shots, you have the chance to:
- Create new customers
- Increase range activity
- Build awareness of the shooting sports See how First Shots can impact your business
As a new First Shots participating range you will be entitled 50 percent in cooperative advertising funds up to $3000, targets and ammunition for your first event only, as well as everything included for current host ranges.
As a current First Shots host range, you can request custom ads with your facility information.
What’s included for all First Shots participating ranges:
- A complete advertising package that includes custom ads with your facility information
- Attendee materials, including safety literature
- Planning assistance and logistical advice throughout the entire process
- Instructor’s Powerpoint is available
Once you schedule your event, you will receive the following for each participant:
- Firearm Safety Depends on You brochure
- Responsible ownership in the home brochure
- Facebook Flyer
- Flash drive shaped like a semi-auto pistol which include industry information and additional shooting resources for new shooters
- First Shots Ink Pens
- Safety Glasses
- Plastic Bag
- Survey form to be filled out on-site and returned to NSSF
State and local firearms laws may vary. Check them out before scheduling a First Shots seminar.
Laws, including those concerning who may or may not possess firearms at shooting ranges, vary greatly from state to state — and even may be different from one locality to another within a particular state. Range owners are advised to verify their ability to host a First Shots seminar before scheduling one and consult an attorney in their area should they have questions about their state and local firearms laws.
Advisory for New York State Range Operators:
It is a crime in New York State for a person to possess a handgun at a shooting facility unless that person, or circumstances, fall within one of the exemptions provided for by law (See New York Penal Law Section 265.20a.)
First Shots® is a firearms introductory program for beginners and first-time shooters. It is unlikely, therefore, that a First Shots participant at a range in New York State can lawfully possess a handgun.
This notice is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be, nor should it be construed to be, legal advice. New York State range operators are strongly advised to review the applicable sections of the New York Penal Law and consult with an attorney before hosting a First Shots seminar.