back arrow iconBack to News

May 31, 2022

ATF Q&A: Firearms Transactions

I have homes in two states and reside in one state in the winter and the other state in the summer. Can I purchase handguns in both states?

Yes. During the time you reside in State X, you are a resident of that state. When you are residing in State Y, you are a resident of that state. In order to comply with regulations, you must be able to provide a Government-issued photo ID with an address that matches the address you indicate on Form 4473. Supplemental documentation to verify the address can be present, as per Ruling 2001-5. The supplemental document must have been issued by a Government agency, and examples are given in the Ruling as a vehicle registration, a recreation identification card (park district card in which the park district is administered by the city/county government), a fishing or hunting license, a voter identification card, or a [property] tax bill. The document must be valid and current at the time of purchase. This document must have the purchaser’s residence address in that state and be in the purchaser’s name.


24-Hour Compliance Hotline

NSSF members can greatly benefit from the NSSF’s Retail Member Hotline. The toll-free hotline will bring calls in to the NSSF headquarters on a 24/7 basis. If questions regarding compliance, transactions, legislation or any other topic cannot be answered at the time of the call, an all-out attempt will be made to provide the answer within 24 hours.

NSSF members have exclusive 24/7 access to the NSSF’s Retail Member Hotline. Non-member retailers can view some of the questions that have been asked and answered through this service here.

Compliance Resources for Members

NSSF offers an array of resources and information to help members operate their businesses in compliance with laws and regulations. NSSF’s regulatory compliance resources include articles, newsletters, videos, online training courses, legal and regulatory compliance consultants and more. Log in to access.