back arrow iconBack to News

July 12, 2017

ATF Q&A: Firearms Transactions

What documentation must a member of the military on active duty present to an FFL to purchase a handgun from that FFL?

The individual must present a valid Active Duty Military Identification Card that includes a photograph of the individual and approved Permanent Change of Station (PCS) Orders that show that the individual is permanently stationed at a military installation within the State where the FFL is licensed.  The effective date of the PCS Orders must be no later than the date the individual is attempting to make the purchase.  Any orders other than PCS Orders (TDY, TAD) are not valid to establish the service member as a resident of the State in which the FFL is located and cannot be used to allow the sale of a handgun to that person.