August 13, 2018
10 Ways to Celebrate National Shooting Sports Month
Learn to shoot, invite a newcomer, share the fun this August
NEWTOWN, Conn. – Breaking a flying clay target or knocking over a steel plate and then sharing the fun of that experience awaits all who participate in National Shooting Sports Month® this August.
The National Shooting Sports Foundation® (NSSF®) established this celebration to encourage you to spend trigger time at your local shooting range and share your passion for the shooting sports with others. Some 24 million Americans have a great interest in learning about recreational shooting, according to NSSF, making National Shooting Sports Month the perfect time to bring someone new to the range.
We’ve got 10 great reasons for you to celebrate National Shooting Sports Month. If you think of others, please share them on social media and use the hashtag #LetsGoShootingTM.
- Bring someone new
- There’s nothing quite like seeing the joy on someone’s face after they’ve taken their first shots. Experienced shooters, invite a newcomer to the range, and have them watch this video on Range Safety and Etiquette before they go.
- Try something new
- Are you a hardcore handgun shooter? Then pick up a shotgun and give sporting clays a try. Are you primarily a shotgun shooter? Then hone your handgun skills or sign up for a local International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) match. Learn about different target sports and see instructional videos at LetsGoShooting.org.
- Rediscover shooting
- Haven’t shot in a while? Dust off your shooting gear and head to the range, preferably with a friend. Learn a new game, like action pistol, 3-Gun or skeet shooting.
- Find a range or an event near you
- At LetsGoShooting.org, you’ll find National Shooting Sports Month events at ranges and retailers across the country. If none are listed in your area, use the website to locate a range near you to enjoy a fun, safe day of target shooting.
- Make it a date
- Ask your spouse, partner, boyfriend or girlfriend to go shooting. You’ll have a great time together. Send an email invitation to them at LetsGoShooting.org. By the way, women are the fastest growing segment in target shooting, and more gear than ever is being designed for their fit and comfort.
- Cash in on deals
- Retailers and ranges will be offering specials during National Shooting Sports Month at some 400 events nationwide. Find a participating business near you to take advantage of these offers at LetsGoShooting.org.
- Practice Firearm Safety
- The shooting sports are safe. Responsible gun owners safely handle their firearms and securely store when not in use when on the firing line, transporting them in vehicles and at home.
- Celebrate Freedom and Tradition
- In addition to passing on the great tradition of target shooting, you can educate others about the unique American freedoms that make participating possible. See NSSF’s Proud to be a Firearms Owner pocket card.
- Share It!
- Win a Great Prize!
The National Shooting Sports Foundation is the trade association for the firearms industry. Its mission is to promote, protect and preserve hunting and the shooting sports. Formed in 1961, NSSF has a membership of more than 11,000 manufacturers, distributors, firearms retailers, shooting ranges, sportsmen’s organizations and publishers. For more information, visit nssf.org.