President Obama Pursuing Gun Control
Through Executive Orders
EXECUTIVE ORDERS PUSH . . . President Obama is back from his holiday in Hawaii and hitting the ground running in pursuit of gun control through executive orders. He met with Attorney General Loretta Lynch today and on Thursday will be at George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia, for a one-hour, televised CNN "Guns in America" town hall with Anderson Cooper. While details are still awaited, news reports indicate the executive orders will center on limiting sales by private individuals, often misrepresented as the "gun show loophole." NSSF will continue to keep you informed.
- FEW SEATS REMAIN FOR STATE OF THE INDUSTRY DINNER . . . This is the last chance to get tickets to the SHOT Show's State of the Industry Dinner. Tickets will sell out this week, so lock in your seats now by visiting shotshow.org/apply and add tickets to your order. Join us for a night of industry unity as we enter a critical election year. Hear from NSSF President Steve Sanetti as he delivers this year's State of the Industry address, and then be treated to an unforgettable performance by legendary comedian Jeff Foxworthy.
- NSSF ANNOUNCES 'SHOT SHOW NEXT' — ALL NEW EXHIBITOR AVENUE . . . NSSF is pleased to announce the newest addition to its annual SHOT Show, "SHOT Show NEXT." Designed to provide an introduction of exhibitors currently on the waiting list for exhibitor space on the main show display floors, SHOT Show NEXT will provide instant access to newer companies and products coming to market.
- WHILE AT SHOT SHOW, BECOME A PROJECT CHILDSAFE SUPPORTER . . . More than 1,200 firearms manufacturers, retailers, range owners, hunting groups and safety instructors have joined with NSSF to help promote our industry's Project ChildSafe program and help prevent firearm accidents by educating gun owners on the importance of properly storing firearms when they aren't in use. Please visit NSSF's Project ChildSafe at Booth #2528 during SHOT Show to learn more and sign up as a Project ChildSafe supporter. There's no cost to help out with this important cause. Or you can sign up online by filling out the Supporter Form.
- TRADE SHOW VIDEO CONTENT MARKETING . . . Fifty-five percent of people watch videos online every day. The SHOT Show provides an incredible opportunity to produce top-notch video marketing content with celebrities, new products, the latest buzz of the industry and much more. Learn how you can utilize video in a creative, cost-efficient way at this year's SHOT Show: Part I | Part II.
- NSSF FIRST SHOTS BIG CITY TOUR COMING TO LAS VEGAS AREA . . . Participation in target shooting is at an all-time high, and newcomers will be able to see what all the excitement is about by attending a free First Shots seminar at one of six Las Vegas-area target-shooting facilities Jan. 15-17. Learn more.
NSSF Industry Summit
- GEORGIA DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT SPONSORS 2016 NSSF INDUSTRY SUMMIT . . . NSSF is pleased to announce that the Georgia Department of Economic Development will be returning for the third time as the Platinum Sponsor at the 2016 NSSF Industry Summit. Taking place June 6-8, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, the 2016 event will work to share dynamic models of success that contribute toward the common industry goals of promoting hunting and target shooting, discuss threats to our success and explore new avenues of opportunities for growth and recruitment.
- TAMPA DON'T LIE FOR THE OTHER GUY CAMPAIGN . . . As part of the longstanding cooperative effort to help prevent illegal "straw" purchases of firearms, NSSF and ATF are reminding the public in the Tampa area that stiff penalties are in place for individuals convicted of such purchases. More than 11.2 million weekly media impressions will be delivered via billboards, 750 30-second radio spots will air weekly and 170 TV ads will run on cable television during the campaign. See one local TV news story.
- SEATTLE GUN, AMMO TAX RULING APPEALED . . . NSSF, the NRA and Second Amendment Foundation and NSSF member plaintiffs today filed a notice of appeal following a court ruling late last month upholding Seattle's Gun Violence Ordinance taxing firearms and ammunition sales. The judge found the ordinance to be a lawful exercise of Seattle's taxing authority not preempted by state statute. The ordinance took effect Jan. 1. One store has said it will move. We will provide updates as the appeal progresses.
- CHRISTIE SUPPORTS NEW JERSEY FIREARMS PERMITTING CHANGES . . . Shortly before Christmas, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie announced that he was in full support of recommendations made in the recently released report of the New Jersey Firearm Purchase and Permitting Study Commission.
The study commission was charged with recommending reforms to the state's statutes, standards and processes regarding firearms carry permits and related laws. Read the governor's statement and access the report.
Read NSSF's latest Government Relations News.
- NSSF-ADJUSTED NICS BACKGROUND CHECKS . . . The December 2015 NSSF-adjusted National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) figure of 2,235,560 is an increase of 37.6 percent compared to the December 2014 NSSF-adjusted NICS figure of 1,624,524. For comparison, the unadjusted December 2015 FBI NICS figure of 3,308,199 reflects a 43.7 percent increase from the unadjusted FBI NICS figure of 2,301,386 in December 2014. To learn more about last month's NICS report, log in to the member side of nssf.org.
- NSSF OFFERS MARKET RESEARCH 101 EDUCATION SEMINAR DURING THE 2016 SHOT SHOW . . . On Monday, Jan. 18, from 4 to 5 p.m., leading industry research professionals from NSSF and Southwick Associates will discuss how companies in the shooting sports industry can grow by using reliable information to identify and embrace changes in customer preferences. Seating is limited and registration is required. Learn more.
- SHOT SHOW UNIVERSITY: RESERVE YOUR SEAT BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE . . . The 2016 SHOT Show University, which will take place Jan. 18, is now exaclty two weeks away and tickets are selling out. Don't miss this educational day-long event that addresses the unique challenges of retail business and range operations. High-profile keynote speakers will help attendees gain a deeper understanding into important topics that impact business every day. Register now.
- ATF Q&A . . . More great questions came in on our 24/7 NSSF member compliance hotline last week. One question covers whether a parent or guardian may purchase ammunition for a juvenile. Another question relates to whether a retailer may conduct a NICS background check on a special-order firearm.
- DID YOU KNOW? . . . Professional burglary, particularly smash-and-grab theft, is one of the most serious threats firearm retailers face today. NSSF's partnership with a commercial burglary prevention firm provides special custom-pricing on a crime-deterrence solution that makes it more difficult for criminals to steal. Learn more.
News of Note
- NSSF'S KEANE APPOINTED TO CONGRESSIONAL SPORTSMEN'S FOUNDATION . . . The Congressional Sportsmen's Foundation has announced the appointment of three new members to serve on its board of directors: Lawrence Keane, NSSF Senior Vice President, Assistant Secretary and General Counsel; Brad Johnson, Chairman and CEO of United Sporting Companies; and Joshua Waldron, CEO of SilencerCo. Retiring from the board are NSSF President Steve Sanetti and Brad Franklin of Yamaha Motor Corp., who CSF thanked for their contributions. Read more.
- GARY ZURN JOINS NASGW BOARD . . . The National Association of Sporting Goods Wholesalers has announced that Gary Zurn, Partner & Senior Vice President—Industry Relations, Big Rock Sports, LLC, has been elected to the NASGW Board of Directors for a two-year term. Kent Williams of Williams Shooters Supply, Brad Burney of L.M. Burney Distributors and Larry Massimo of Davidson's, Inc., were also re-elected to the board.
- NSSF IN THE NEWS . . . The New York Times, New York Daily News, Dallas Morning News, Shooting Industry Magazine, Watchdog.org and many other news outlets across the country included NSSF in their coverage in recent days. Popular topics included government relations, business trends and SHOT Show. View a full wrap-up of NSSF in the News.
- FIREARMS INDUSTRY JOBS . . . Visit jobs.nssf.org for current employment opportunities in the shooting, hunting and outdoor industry. Unmatched job listing exposure, easy online job management, résumé search and résumé uploading for job seekers gives NSSF members and non-members more opportunities than ever before.
"To promote, protect and preserve hunting and the shooting sports."
Visit the NSSF website and see how we accomplish this mission.
COPYRIGHT © 2016 by National Shooting Sports Foundation, Inc. Permission is granted for broadcast, publication, retransmission to email lists, Websites or any other copying or storage, in any medium, online or not, if 1) the text is forwarded in its entirety, including this paragraph, and 2) no fee is charged. "Bullet Points®," "National Shooting Sports Foundation®," "NSSF®," and all other trade names, trademarks, service marks, logos and images of the National Shooting Sports Foundation appearing in this publication are the sole property of the Foundation and may not be used without the Foundation's prior express written permission. All other trade names, trademarks, service marks, logos and images appearing in this publication are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.