Election Day Approaches: #GUNVOTE
With Election Day, Nov. 4, just eight days away, NSSF urges all voters to be informed on where their candidates truly stand in supporting their firearms, hunting and shooting freedoms. Don't Risk Your Rights! Use NSSF's #GUNVOTE website to be an educated voter when you cast your ballot next week.
- NSSF's #GUNVOTE INITIATIVE AIRS COLORADO TV AD . . . As we enter the final stretch to Election Day, NSSF has added a hard-hitting Colorado cable television advertising buy to our #GUNVOTE voter information education initiative, while continuing to air a targeted Connecticut TV spot. In both states, all who value their firearms ownership and Second Amendment rights face a clear choice when they vote for governor. Watch the Connecticut #GUNVOTE television ad. Watch the Colorado #GUNVOTE ad. In addition to television, these ads are being actively promoted through social media. Radio ads are also running in Connecticut. The Wall Street Journal on Friday took note of NSSF's #GUNVOTE effort in that state.
- NSSF MEMBER COMPANIES SUPPORTING #GUNVOTE MESSAGE . . . Many NSSF member companies are actively supporting #GUNVOTE, NSSF's voter education and information initiative, by displaying the #GUNVOTE button on their websites. The latest companies on board are Fiocchi Ammunition and Stag Arms. Thank you to all industry members downloading the #GUNVOTE button and using it in print publications and on their social media platforms. Companies displaying the #GUNVOTE button are Action Target, Advanced Technology International, Alliant Powder, Blackhawk, Browning, Bushnell, Butler, Champion Target, CCI, Colt's Manufacturing Co., Coonan Inc., Cor-Bon/Glaser LLC, Creek, Federal, FNH USA, Fobus Holsters, FrogLube, Glock, GunBroker.com, Gunslick, Hodgdon Powder Company, Hoppes, Hornady Manufacturing Co., Leupold & Stevens, Lewis Machine & Tool Co., Millett, North American Arms, O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Outers, Primos, RCBS, Remington Outdoor Company, Savage, Simmons, SinterFire, Smith & Wesson Firearms, Sturm, Ruger and Co., Taurus Holdings, Trulock Tool, Uncle Mike's, Volquartsen Custom, Warne Scope Mounts, Weaver and Winchester Ammunition.
- JUDGE: MAINE WILDLIFE OFFICIALS CAN SPEAK AGAINST BEAR-HUNT RESTRICTIONS . . . A superior court judge refused to issue a temporary injunction to stop Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife officials from publicly opposing bear-hunting restrictions. Cumberland County Judge Joyce Wheeler ruled that Mainers for Fair Bear Hunting had failed to demonstrate that the department's opposition to a Nov. 4 ballot question caused "irreparable injury," and that department employees' speech is protected under the First Amendment. The referendum question asks if hunters in Maine should be banned from using bait, traps and dogs to hunt black bears. The same proposal was rejected by Maine voters in 2004 by a margin of 53 percent to 47 percent. The coalition behind the ballot question is funded by the anti-hunting Humane Society of the United States (HSUS).
- THANK YOU TO OUR LATEST NSSF PAC CONTRIBUTORS
- President's Club ($5,000): No new contributors to report
- Cabinet Club ($2,500 or more): No new contributors to report
- Capitol Club ($1,000 or more): Stephen Sanetti and Gary Witherspoon
- Caucus Club ($500 or more): No new contributors to report
- Congressional Club ($250 or more): Charles Jacobi
- Industry Club (up to $249): Russell Thurman
- U.S. HOUSE MEMBERS ASK 'CHOKE POINT' INVESTIGATION BE EXTENDED TO FDIC . . . One week after more than 30 members of the U.S. House of Representatives asked the Department of Justice's Inspector General to investigate that department's role in "Operation Choke Point," the House members made the same request of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation. The DOJ-initiated program was launched to cut off access to financial services to specific types of businesses, starting with non-depository lenders. The program was extended to other industries, including firearms and ammunition manufacturers and retailers. "There is no doubt in our minds that FDIC and DOJ officials have abused their authority to advance a political and/or moral agenda," the letter explains. Read the letter. NSSF has been assisting the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee and individual members with unraveling the details of how Operation Choke Point has affected the industry.
- PENN. PASSES STRENGTHENED PREEMPTION BILL . . . The Pennsylvania House of Representatives last week passed HB 80, which will strengthen the state's firearms preemption statute. This new law will allow groups to sue municipalities that enact ordinances stricter than state firearms laws and also collect legal fees and other costs if they win. The bill was passed by a 138-56 vote and will help ensure that firearm and ammunition laws are consistent throughout the Commonwealth.
For more Government Relations news, read NSSF's latest Government Relations Update.
- 2015 STATE OF THE INDUSTRY TICKETS GOING FAST . . . The highlight ofSHOT Show for many attendees is the National Shooting Sports Foundation's State of the Industry Dinner. Held the first evening of the opening of SHOT Show, this year's event promises to have dinner guests rolling in the aisles with laughter, courtesy of the unbeatable humor of Jay Leno. Most people are familiar with Leno's everyman style from his work as the host of the Emmy Award-winning "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno." Tickets for the State of the Industry Dinner are one of the most highly requested items at every SHOT Show. This event always sells to capacity, and the brisk ticket sales we're experiencing now tells us this year's event will be no different. Learn more and get your tickets today!
- INDUSTRY DAY AT THE RANGE EXHIBITOR REGISTRATION DEADLINE NOV. 1 . . . With the support of the NSSF, SHOT Show Industry Day at the Range will be held at the Boulder Pistol & Rifle Range, Boulder City, Nevada, on Monday, Jan. 19, 2015. Industry Day will provide invited media and buyers the opportunity to test new products. Exhibitor registration will close on Nov. 1, and while space is limited at this time, the range has the following exhibit spaces available: shotgun, airgun, archery, demo track and non-shooting. Rifle and pistol lanes are sold out. You do not need to be an exhibitor of SHOT Show to exhibit at Industry Day. To register as an exhibitor for these remaining spaces, visit SHOTShowRangeDay.com.
- NSSF PROVIDES SPECIAL HOTEL RATES FOR SHOT ATTENDEES . . . Through our booking partner OnPeak, we have special rates available at more than 20 official SHOT Show hotels convenient to the Sands Expo Center, including NSSF's official headquarter hotel — the Venetian/Palazzo. These special rates cover a wide variety of room-per-night price ranges and amenities, and all are within walking distance or a short cab ride from the Sands, in addition to having regular shuttle bus service to and from the show. Reservations for these official SHOT Show hotel rooms end Dec. 17, 2014, but bookings fill fast, so we encourage all our exhibitors and attendees to make their reservations now. Visit shotshow.org/travel to make reservations.
- DANIEL DEFENSE SPONSOR OF SHOT MOBILE APP . . . Daniel Defense, the manufacturer of small arms and small-arms accessories, has become the title sponsor of SHOT Mobile, an information-rich, timesaving mobile app for use by all who attend the SHOT Show. The app, whose main screen will feature Daniel Defense's logo, allows searching for and locating exhibitors, navigating the show floor via interactive maps, finding new products and show specials, viewing seminar schedules and setting up appointments with exhibitors, among other services. Sign up at shotmobile.com to be notified when the app is ready to download for Apple, Android and Blackberry devices. Read the press release.
- NEW SHOT SHOWCASE THEATER ENHANCES PRODUCT INTRODUCTION . . . One of the hottest features to debut at the 2015 SHOT Show is the all-new SHOT Showcase Theater. Modeled after the success of the press conference format held at the New York Auto Show, this special 742-seat theater will allow media and VIP buyers a chance to experience SHOT Show's best new products in a dynamic, multi-media environment. Read the blog post.
- NSSF INFOGRAPHIC ON HOW WILDLIFE IS THRIVING BECAUSE OF GUNS AND HUNTING . . . Archers are out in full force right now, and they're soon to be followed by firearms hunters. NSSF has created a print-sized (8 1/2" x 11") infographic showing How Wildlife is Thriving Because of Guns and Hunting. NSSF encourages all members of our industry to use and share this and help spread the word about the positive influences of hunting, just as the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation did by including a full-page infographic in its 2014-'15 Hunting and Trapping Guide.
- UPDATED NSSF REPORT ON FIREARMS-RELATED INJURY STATISTICS . . . NSSF has recently updated its report "Firearms-Related Injury Statistics." Complimentary to both members and non-members, this report utilizes data from sources such as National Safety Council and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to highlight declining trends in firearms-related injuries and fatalities.
- DANA LOESCH'S NEW BOOK PROMOTES GUN OWNERSHIP, PROJECT CHILDSAFE . . . "Hands Off My Gun," media personality Dana Loesch's new book, has just hit the shelves. In her trademark fiery fashion, Loesch discusses a host of gun rights topics, including women and self-defense, the 14 biggest anti-gun lies and her Twitter battles with anti-gun activist Shannon Watts. An outspoken proponent of NSSF's Project ChildSafe program, Loesch writes, "With the time and money Bloomberg groups spend demonizing peaceful, law-abiding mom-and-dad gun owners, they could have promoted real gun safety [through Project ChildSafe]." Loesch, a member of a media panel at the NSSF Industry Summit, is host of the "Dana" television show and "The Dana Show: The Conservative Alternative" radio show.
- IHEA-USA PARTNERS WITH NSSF TO SUPPORT PROJECT CHILDSAFE. . . The International Hunter Education Association
(IHEA-USA), the world leader in developing safe and responsible hunters since 1949, has become a promotional supporter of NSSF's Project ChildSafe program. Through this partnership with Project ChildSafe, IHEA-USA will help spread the message of "Own It? Respect It. Secure It." and "Store Your Firearms Responsibly" by working with its statewide directors and hunter education instructors through its newsletter, website and social media platforms. Read the press release.
- ATF Q&A . . . Here are two more of the great questions we've received last week over the NSSF Compliance Hotline. The first question relates to an FFL doing background checks for unlicensed sellers at gun shows and the second question regards the length of time for which a marking variance is good. Do you know the answers? Follow the links to find out.
- CO-OP ADVERTISING—DOLLARS FOR THE ASKING . . . For retailers, promotion is a fact of life. Whether you spend your marketing and advertising dollars in traditional media like newspapers, magazines, radio, billboards or television or devote that money to a website, email and social media, the purpose of the investment is to keep your business front and center in the minds of customers. Co-op advertising allows you to advertise and promote your store and/or range and have a manufacturer pay for part of that cost. Why would they do that? Read more about co-op advertising in William F. Kendy's latest NSSF blog post.
- BUSINESS EXPERT GENE MARKS HIGHLIGHTS SHOT SHOW UNIVERSITY CLASSES . . . The NSSF is pleased to announce that columnist, book author and small business owner and expert Gene Marks will be hosting two segments of the 2015 SHOT Show University. Through his keynote and breakout sessions, Marks helps business owners, executives and managers understand the political, economic and technological trends that will affect their companies, so they can make profitable decisions. Read the SHOT Show Blog post.
- MEMBERS RECEIVE SPECIAL DISCOUNT ON PAYMENT PROCESSING SERVICES . . . NSSF members receive a special discount on services provided by a payment processing company dedicated to providing top-end service to the firearms industry. The products offered by our partner company can offer significant savings over more traditional credit processing enterprises. Learn more.
News of Note
- NSSF'S CHRIS DOLNACK JOINS HAVA BOARD . . . Honored American Veterans Afield (HAVA) and NSSF have announced the election of NSSF Senior Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer Chris Dolnack to the HAVA Board of Directors, joining directors from Smith & Wesson, Mossberg, Leupold & Stevens, Yamaha Outdoors and XS Sights. Dolnack's election will further the HAVA/NSSF partnership that helps drive industry support for disabled veterans and will hopefully encourage more industry companies to join the cause of helping disabled veteran's return to civilian life. Read more.
- SILVER MEDAL FOR USA SHOOTING'S BEAMAN AT WORLD CUP . . . Facing 12 of the world's best trap shooters, Janessa Beaman earned a silver media at the World Cup Finals (WCF) in Gabala, Azerbaijan, last week. Inscribed on her trusty Krieghoff are the words "Talent, Discipline and Determination," and she needed all three to overcome major travel snafus and handle the pressure of overtime in the gold-medal match before finally settling for the silver medal. She earned a trip to the semifinals by virtue of her 73/75 qualifying score to tie with three other competitors, and she reached the gold-medal final by beating five other finalists in the 15-shot semifinal by connecting with 14 targets.
| content provided by
- UNDERSTANDING ATF COMMUNICATIONS . . . It's important to stay on top of current events. Our guess is you get your news through television, internet, or newspaper? When you chose to become a Federal Firearms Licensee with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco Firearms and Explosives you are also choosing to comply with the federal firearm laws and regulations that govern your firearms business. In order to do so, it is crucial that you stay on top of the guidance and current events happening in the ATF regulatory world. Read more. Orchid Advisors is an endorsed compliance information provider for NSSF members.
- FIREARMS INDUSTRY JOBS . . . Visit nssf.org/jobs for current employment opportunities in the shooting, hunting and outdoor industry. Employers: Log in to post a job opening.
"To promote, protect and preserve hunting and the shooting sports. "
Click here to visit the NSSF website and see how we accomplish this mission.
COPYRIGHT © 2014 by National Shooting Sports Foundation, Inc. Permission is granted for broadcast, publication, retransmission to email lists, Websites or any other copying or storage, in any medium, online or not, if 1) the text is forwarded in its entirety, including this paragraph, and 2) no fee is charged. "Bullet Points®," "National Shooting Sports Foundation®," "NSSF®," and all other trade names, trademarks, service marks, logos and images of the National Shooting Sports Foundation appearing in this publication are the sole property of the Foundation and may not be used without the Foundation's prior express written permission. All other trade names, trademarks, service marks, logos and images appearing in this publication are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.