Seattle, Portland Residents
Take Their 'First Shots'
ALL SMILES ON THE RANGE . . . Residents from around Portland, Oregon, and Seattle, Washington, gave shooting a try for the first time this past weekend, as NSSF partnered with seven Pacific Northwest shooting ranges on the latest stop of NSSF's First Shots Big City Tour. While some showed up a bit nervous, it didn't take long before all were smiling and having a blast, thanks to the friendly range staff at all seven facilities that provided a warm and welcoming introduction to firearms safety and the shooting sports. Participating ranges included Bellevue Gun Club and Champion Arms in the Seattle area, and Threat Dynamics, The Place to Shoot, Clark County Gun Club, SafeFire Indoor Shooting Ranges and the Douglas Ridge Rifle Club in the Portland region. See photos on the First Shots Facebook page.
- OBAMA EARNS PINOCCHIOS FOR 'IT'S EASIER FOR TEENS TO BUY A GUN THAN A BOOK' CLAIM . . . While delivering remarks at the memorial service for Dallas police officers killed on July 7, the President claimed that "it is easier for a teenager to buy a Glock than get his hands on a computer or even a book." The Washington Post Fact Checker awarded him three out of four Pinocchios for making such an exaggerated claim which does nothing but distract the public. NSSF's Larry Keane responds.
- GOV. BROWN LAUNCHES TOUGH GUN CONTROL PUSH FOR OREGON WITH EXECUTIVE ORDERS . . . Oregon Gov. Kate Brown unveiled a big gun control package last week that included directions for the state police to track and analyze gun transactions, while urging Congress to ban assault weapons and enact no fly/no buy legislation. Read more.
- NO HOUSE VOTE ON GUN-RELATED BILLS UNTIL AFTER RECESS . . . The U.S. House leadership last week decided to delay consideration of any gun-related legislation until after the seven-week summer recess. Read more.
Read NSSF's latest Government Relations Update for more.
THE BEST Point of Sale System for Gun Stores and Ranges … Rapid Gun Systems specializes in POS Software, Hardware, and Support to meet the needs of FFL's nationwide. Powered by NCR Commercial Grade Hardware + Software and combined with ATF Compliancy expertise; you truly do get a comprehensive, user-friendly system that helps reduce long lines, maintain a loyal customer database, and most of all – keep you ATF compliant. Some of our outstanding features include Inventory Tracking, virtually unlimited Sales Reporting, Range Management, a fully integrated Electronic Bound Book, and the ability to scan the driver's license to create your customer database. Whether you're a start-up, an existing store, small mom & pop, range, or multiple-chain location; Rapid Gun Systems has the perfect solution for everyone. To speak with an FFL Retail Systems Consultant today, dial 619-754-4100 or to request a free quote – CLICK HERE!
- AVOID BECOMING A BURGLARY TARGET . . . Security can be what you make of it, but when it comes to firearms in today's society, more is better. How can you keep your store from becoming a burglary target? Most people immediately think alarms and solid locks when this subject comes up, but there are many more facets to this topic to consider. Read more.
- EARLY NICS SHUTDOWN . . . In preparation for the deployment of the New NICS on Tuesday, August 9, the current NICS will be taken out of service on August 9 at 12 a.m. EDT, and will return to service at 10 a.m. EDT that same day. Please notify personnel and make appropriate arrangements.
- ATF Q&A . . . More great questions came in on our 24/7 NSSF member compliance hotline last week. One question asks if a United States-issued passport is a valid form of identification for a firearms purchaser to provide to an FFL.
- DID YOU KNOW? . . . Whether your business is a small town five-person operation or a 500-person enterprise with multiple locations, hiring the right people is key to your success. A prominent employment screening company offers NSSF members a substantial discount on employee background checks. Learn more.
- PROJECT CHILDSAFE IN DETROIT . . . The Detroit Police Department and NSSF announced a partnership last Monday to provide free gun locks and safety materials to city residents through NSSF's Project ChildSafe program. Assistant Chief James E. White and NSSF President Steve Sanetti were joined by about 40 officers, as well as local media and area residents to hear the message that storing firearms securely when not in use is the No. 1 way to help prevent accidents, thefts and misuse.
SHOT SHOW — WHY VEGAS? . . . Have you ever wondered why the SHOT Show is hosted at the Sands Expo in Las Vegas? The SHOT Show will be in Las Vegas at the Sands for the foreseeable future, through 2025 actually. Learn more.
- SHOTSHOW.ORG'S NEWEST FEATURE GETS YOU ANSWERS FAST . . . There's so much new for the 2017 SHOT Show, we've created a special interactive forum to help answer questions about it.
Simply visit the shotshow.org home page, where you'll now find a flashing yellow "Questions?" bar on the right side of the page. Learn more.
News of Note
- FWS PROPOSES EXPANSION OF HUNTING OPPORTUNITIES ON NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGES . . . Last week, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Director Dan Ashe announced that the agency is proposing to expand hunting at 13 national wildlife refuges across the United States. This includes migratory bird, upland game and big game hunting.
- MORE THAN 2,400 YOUTHS COMPETE AT SCHOLASTIC NATIONALS . . . More than 2,400 shooters, ages 12 to 21, from 27 different states participated in the Scholastic Shooting Sports Foundation National Championships at Cardinal Shooting Center in Marengo, Ohio. Read more about it from The Columbus Dispatch.
- #GUNVOTE: YOUR GO-TO SOURCE IN 2016 . . . Can there be any doubt that this is one of the most important election years ever for our industry? With the voting balance of the U.S. Supreme Court at stake, this election could very well determine the future of our Second Amendment rights. What can you do? Help get the facts out.
- FIREARMS INDUSTRY JOBS . . . Visit jobs.nssf.org for current employment opportunities in the shooting, hunting and outdoor industry. Unmatched job listing exposure, easy online job management, résumé search and résumé uploading for job seekers gives NSSF members and non-members more opportunities than ever before.
"To promote, protect and preserve hunting and the shooting sports."
Visit the NSSF website and see how we accomplish this mission.
COPYRIGHT © 2016 by National Shooting Sports Foundation, Inc. Permission is granted for broadcast, publication, retransmission to email lists, Websites or any other copying or storage, in any medium, online or not, if 1) the text is forwarded in its entirety, including this paragraph, and 2) no fee is charged. "Bullet Points®," "National Shooting Sports Foundation®," "NSSF®," and all other trade names, trademarks, service marks, logos and images of the National Shooting Sports Foundation appearing in this publication are the sole property of the Foundation and may not be used without the Foundation's prior express written permission. All other trade names, trademarks, service marks, logos and images appearing in this publication are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.