New NSSF Initiative Focuses
on Firearms and Suicide Prevention
NSSF PARTNERS WITH NATIONAL SUICIDE PREVENTION ORGANIZATION . . . With suicide accounting for nearly two-thirds of all firearm fatalities annually, the topic of suicide prevention deserves our attention. Recently, NSSF and the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP) announced a partnership to embark on a first-of-its-kind national plan to build and implement public education resources for firearms retailers, shooting ranges and the firearms-owning community about suicide prevention and firearms. Learn more.
- NSSF OBJECTS TO DDTC GUNSMITHING GUIDANCE . . . NSSF is continuing its drumbeat against the State Department's "guidance" regarding who is required under current law to register with the agency as a manufacturer of defense articles. Last week NSSF took action in the form of a letter to the State Department expressing strong opposition to its regulatory overreach and guidance that has caused considerable confusion among gunsmiths and gun owners. Read more.
- MASSACHUSETTS ATTORNEY GENERAL'S OFFICE SEEMS TO WALK BACK DIRECTIVE . . . Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healy's office has quietly posted on its website what could be viewed as a walk back of her July "Enforcement Directive." Under the Questions and Answers section, there is a new post that appears to be an admission that the original "Enforcement Directive" was highly subject to interpretation and far too sweeping in its scope.
Read NSSF's latest Government Relations Update for more.
|The best Point of Sale System for Gun Stores … POS Software
, Hardware, and Support
specifically designed to fit the needs of FLL dealers. Explore a fully integrated system that manages you're A&D book, FFL transfers, special orders, private party transfers, and more with one system. There is even an optional component for shooting range management. The integrated A&D book helps keep you compliant
without having to utilize multiple systems. Easily scan driver's licenses to add new customers, integrate with your current accounting software, and be able to print reports that will help you keep an eye on your business. From startups
to existing stores
, mom-and-pop to multi-chain stores
, the Rapid Gun System is configurable to create a perfect fit for all sizes of gun stores. Call 619-754-4100 to speak with an FFL retail experts or request a quote today
- 'SCIENCE OF SHOPPING' WEBINAR IS THIS WEEK — LAST CHANCE TO REGISTER . . . NSSF's upcoming webinar, "The Science of Shopping," with famed retail guru Paco Underhill, is set for this Wednesday, Aug. 24, from 1 to 2 p.m. EDT. This webinar will provide firearms retailers with tips on how to improve customer experience, customer retention and more. Register now.
- DID YOU KNOW? . . . NSSF members receive a significant discount from a web design company that specializes in firearms and outdoor businesses and provides customized online business solutions for them. Learn more.
- ATF Q&A . . . More great questions came in on our 24/7 NSSF member compliance hotline last week. One question asks how a licensee should respond to a police officer's request for an original 4473.
- USITC FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION DATA FOR JUNE . . . NSSF tracks and reports monthly and quarterly U.S. import and export units for several sporting arms, ammunition and optics categories from the U.S. International Trade Commission. See a complete breakdown for June 2016 compared to June 2015. NSSF members may access additional historical import and export data by logging in and clicking NSSF Industry Research.
News of Note
- TENNESSEE DOMINATES AT SCTP NATIONALS . . . The Tennessee Scholastic Clay Target Program, which boasts more than 2,000 participants, earned more than 100 individual and team awards at the recent SCTP National Championships, according to a story in The Commercial Appeal. The state had an estimated 20 percent of the total 3,000 participants at the competition, which awards titles in skeet, trap and sporting clays. More about SCTP.
- FOX FOCUSES ON WOMEN AND HUNTING . . . In a story that aired today, Fox Business News talks with outdoor TV personality and hunter Eva Shockey about the increase in the number of women who hunt and other hunting-related topics in a piece supported by NSSF-provided statistics. View the segment.
- NORTH AMERICAN CONFERENCE SETS SPECIAL SESSIONS . . . For the 82nd North American Wildlife and Natural Resources Conference that will take place in Philadelphia March 6-10, 2017, the Steering Committee has announced the lineup of four concurrent Special Sessions, including one on the topic of the relevance of conservation to Americans today. Read more.
- DIVA-WOW PROMOTES GUN SAFETY AT BIG TEXAS EVENT . . . More than 20,000 attendees walked the aisles at the Texas Trophy Hunters Extravaganza in Fort Worth recently, where volunteers at the DIVA-WOW (Women Outdoors Worldwide) booth passed out hundreds of gun locks and firearm safety literature provided by NSSF's Project ChildSafe program. "Gun owners were so excited to receive gun locks and education promoting gun safety in the home," said Judy Rhodes, founder of DIVA-WOW.
|Tom Wharton with OWAA President Lisa Ballard
- OWAA'S DISTINGUISHED AWARDS WINNERS . . . At its conference in Billings, Montana, the Outdoor Writers Association of America bestowed its most distinguished awards. Tom Wharton, longtime writer at the Salt Lake City Tribune, received the J. Hammond Brown Memorial Award, OWAA's most prestigious award for past service to the organization. Honors also went to W. Glenn Titus, Excellence in Craft; Larry Stone, Jade of Chiefs; Thayne Smith, Jackie Pfeiffer Award; and Tom Keer, Outstanding Board Member.
- NSSF ADDS NEW STAFF MEMBERS, ANNOUNCES PROMOTIONS . . . NSSF has announced the addition of new staff members to its team, as well as promotions among current staffers. Read more.
- LEUPOLD FURTHERS #GUNVOTE EFFORT WITH AMBASSADOR LEVEL CONTRIBUTION . . . Leupold & Stevens, Inc. has joined NSSF's #GUNVOTE Ambassador's Club with its recent contribution. Leupold joins a growing list of industry companies committed to preserving America's Second Amendment. The company's generous support is vital in helping to educate voters on important issues impacting our industry.
- GET INVOLVED NOW . . . NSSF's #GUNVOTE is a voter registration and education campaign platform for use by firearms industry manufacturers, wholesalers, distributors, retailers and media members, as well as the pro-Second Amendment customer. #GUNVOTE – www.gunvote.org.
- How You Can Help:
- Contribute to #GUNVOTE.
- Download and post the #GUNVOTE icon to your website and link it to gunvote.org.
- Visit the #GUNVOTE website and encourage others to do the same.
- Follow #GUNVOTE on Facebook and on Twitter (@GUNVOTE).
- Order #GUNVOTE stickers. NSSF Members, please order from the NSSF Member shopping cart to receive a member discount.
- A #GUNVOTE performance shooting jersey, proudly made in the USA by TechwearUSA, is the perfect way to demonstrate your support for the #GUNVOTE voter education initiative. Sales support #GUNVOTE. Order now.
- FIREARMS INDUSTRY JOBS . . . Visit jobs.nssf.org for current employment opportunities in the shooting, hunting and outdoor industry. Unmatched job listing exposure, easy online job management, résumé search and résumé uploading for job seekers gives NSSF members and non-members more opportunities than ever before.
"To promote, protect and preserve hunting and the shooting sports."
Visit the NSSF website and see how we accomplish this mission.
COPYRIGHT © 2016 by National Shooting Sports Foundation, Inc. Permission is granted for broadcast, publication, retransmission to email lists, Websites or any other copying or storage, in any medium, online or not, if 1) the text is forwarded in its entirety, including this paragraph, and 2) no fee is charged. "Bullet Points®," "National Shooting Sports Foundation®," "NSSF®," and all other trade names, trademarks, service marks, logos and images of the National Shooting Sports Foundation appearing in this publication are the sole property of the Foundation and may not be used without the Foundation's prior express written permission. All other trade names, trademarks, service marks, logos and images appearing in this publication are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.