Financial Report for Firearms Retailers
FREE REPORT AVAILABLE TO RETAILERS THAT COMPLETE SURVEY . . . Firearms retailers and retailer/range owners have been telling NSSF for years that they are in need of industry financial data to better understand how their businesses stack-up against their peers. NSSF has responded by offering business owners the opportunity to participate in a comprehensive financial benchmarking survey. Those who complete the survey will receive a free aggregated report and access to an online reporting tool that provides information on key financials from sales per square foot to inventory turn and product margin. Learn More.
- NSSF-ADJUSTED NICS BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR APRIL 2016 . . . The April 2016 NSSF-adjusted National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) figure of 1,130,238 is an increase of 14.4 percent compared to the April 2015 NSSF-adjusted NICS figure of 987,698. For comparison, the unadjusted April 2016 FBI NICS figure of 2,135,909 reflects a 25.8 percent increase from the unadjusted FBI NICS figure of 1,697,737 in April 2015. To learn more about last month's NICS report, log in to the member side of nssf.org.
- EXCISE TAX OBLIGATIONS . . . The latest Firearms and Ammunition Excise Tax Collection report released by the Department of the Treasury indicates that firearm and ammunition manufacturers reported tax liabilities of $189 million in the fourth calendar quarter of 2015. NSSF Members can log in to view detailed information on quarterly excise taxes.
|The best Point of Sale System for Gun Stores
… POS Software
, Hardware, and Support
specifically designed to fit the needs of FLL dealers. Explore a fully integrated system that manages you're A&D book, FFL transfers, special orders, private party transfers, and more with one system. There is even an optional component for shooting range management. The integrated A&D book helps keep you compliant
without having to utilize multiple systems. Easily scan driver's licenses to add new customers, integrate with your current accounting software, and be able to print reports that will help you keep an eye on your business. From startups
to existing stores
, mom-and-pop to multi-chain stores
, the Rapid Gun System is configurable to create a perfect fit for all sizes of gun stores. Call 619-754-4100 to speak with an FFL retail experts or request a quote today
- NSSF ISSUES STATEMENT ON WHITE HOUSE 'SMART GUN' ANNOUNCEMENT . . . The White House on Friday released an update on President Obama's January announcement of "new actions to protect children and communities from gun violence." Among the Obama administration's newest proposals is "boosting the development of smart gun technology." On Thursday, based on news reports that a federal report on so-called "smart gun" technology would be forthcoming, the National Shooting Sports Foundation, as the trade association for the firearms industry, issued a statement to make our position clear on the issue. Read the NSSF statement.
- CALIF. FISH & GAME COMMISSION CORRUPTION EXPOSED . . . The Los Angeles Times recently published a story exposing conflicts of interest, favoritism and scandal involving the California Fish and Game Commission, which has attacked our hunting heritage. It's time for sportsmen and sportswomen to voice their strong objections. Wildlife should be managed based on sound science principles, not by emotion and opinion, which is how the Commission has operated over the past few years. Print and share this flyer with friends and customers.
- STATE ROUNDUP . . . The Pennsylvania Senate Game and Fisheries Committee has scheduled a May 18 hearing on Senate Bill 1070 to repeal the Sunday hunting ban. NSSF urges retailers, sportsmen and gun-owners to contact members of this committee and urge them to support SB 1070. The Rhode Island Senate Judiciary Committee last week heard several anti-gun bills, the most far-reaching being Senate Bill 2835, which would outlaw and confiscate magazines over 10-round capacity. NSSF and member company AT Wall testified against this legislation.
Read NSSF's latest Government Relations Update for more.
- #GUNVOTE IN THE INDIANA PRIMARY . . . The Indiana Presidential primary elections for both Republicans and Democrats is Tuesday, as we move ever closer to the party conventions. To help you evaluate candidates' positions on Second Amendment and sportsmen's issues, NSSF provides #GUNVOTE. This voter education site is updated many times a week with news of interest. Newly added are delegate counts. #GUNVOTE also provides election news and breaking updates on Facebook and on Twitter (@GUNVOTE).
- ORDER #GUNVOTE STICKERS . . . Show your support and order #GUNVOTE stickers to display on vehicles, in your office, at events and elsewhere to get the word out. There is too much at stake this election year not to be 100 percent committed. Don't risk your rights. #GUNVOTE. If you are an NSSF Member, please order from the NSSF Member shopping cart to receive a member discount. Stickers are priced $1 each and a minimum order of 15 stickers is required.
- 'INTRODUCTION TO SELLING NFA FIREARMS' WEBINAR, MAY 2 . . . NSSF will be hosting an "Introduction to Selling NFA Firearms" webinar May 19 from 2 to 3 p.m. EST. The webinar is free for NSSF members and will cover the history of the National Firearms Act (NFA), its impact on retailers looking to sell these high-demand, high-margin products and more. Retailers who are interested in selling NFA products should highly consider attending. Find out more and register today.
- ATF Q&A . . . Many great questions came in on our 24/7 NSSF member compliance hotline last week. One question asks if an FFL is at any fault if he or she is unaware that an ineligible customer lies on a 4473 form and successfully completes a firearm transfer that clears NICS. Another question asks if a licensee can return a consigned firearm to an individual other than the person who originally placed the firearm on consignment.
- DID YOU KNOW? . . . NSSF's newest member benefit company offers a 10-percent discount to NSSF members on a variety of professional point-of-sale (POS) services and training. The company offers turn-key products addressing software and hardware, along with installation and full technical support, all with the goal of keeping firearms industry businesses ATF compliant. Learn more.
- REGISTER FOR 2016 IMPORT/EXPORT CONFERENCE . . . This year's NSSF-FAIR Trade Import/Export Conference, August 2-3 in Washington, D.C., will again offer roundtable sessions with ATF, including Imports Branch, National Firearms Act Branch, Firearms Technology Branch, Firearms Industry Programs Branch, eForms and Compliance, as well as with Commerce Department BIS Munitions Control Licensing Division, State Department DDTC, Customs and Border Protection, Treasury's Tax and Trade Bureau, and Census Bureau's Automated Export System. Register now for early-bird pricing.
Firearms Industry Compliance Conference
- FIREARMS INSURANCE AGENT SPONSORS 2016 FICC AT SILVER LEVEL . . . Orchid Advisors and NSSF are pleased to announce that Firearms Insurance Agent (FIA) has agreed to sponsor the 2016 Firearms Industry Compliance Conference at the Silver level. Based in Grain Valley, Missouri, the company specializes in product liability, workers compensation and a variety of general coverage products written specifically to address the needs of those in the firearms industry. Read more.
- SAVAGE ARMS BECOMES SILVER SPONSOR OF 2016 FICC
. . . Orchid Advisors and NSSF are pleased to announce that Savage Arms has agreed to sponsor this year's Firearms Industry Compliance Conference at the Silver level. Founded in 1894, Savage Arms is one of America's oldest firearms manufacturers. Now a member company of the greater Vista Outdoor brand, Savage Arms continues to produce a wide variety of quality rifles and shotguns. Read more.
- WILLIAMS MULLEN LAW FIRM NEW BRONZE SPONSOR OF FICC
. . . Orchid Advisors and NSSF are pleased to announce that Williams Mullen has agreed to sponsor the 2016 Firearms Industry Compliance Conference at the Bronze level. Headquartered in Richmond, Virginia, and with satellite offices in South Carolina, North Carolina and Washington, D.C., the firm provides legal services for a wide variety of enterprises, including those in the firearms industry. Read more.
- GEISSELE AUTOMATICS NAMED LANYARD SPONSOR OF 2016 FICC
. . . Orchid Advisors and NSSF are pleased to announce that Geissele Automatics has agreed to sponsor the 2016 Firearms Industry Compliance Conference at the Lanyard level. A leading manufacturer of premium triggers, rails, tools and accessories, primarily for modern sporting rifles, Geissele Automatics is headquartered in North Wales, Pennsylvania. Read more.
News of Note
- $60,000 IN SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE TO NSSF VOTING MEMBER COMPANIES . . . Employees of companies that support the National Shooting Sports Foundation at the highest level can apply for education aid through the NSSF Voting Member Scholarship Program. NSSF has made available a total of $60,000 in scholarship funding for a maximum of 25 winning entries. NSSF is accepting applications in the Voting Member Scholarship Program through 5 p.m. EST on Wednesday, June 1, 2016. Read more.
- NRA TO MEET IN LOUISVILLE . . . The 2016 NRA Annual Meetings and Exhibits will take place at the Kentucky Exposition Center in Louisville, Kentucky, from May 20-22. The show, recently named by Trade Shows News Network as one of the top 25 fastest growing trade shows, attracts more than 75,000 attendees. For more information about exhibitors, speakers and seminars at the 2016 NRAAM, visit www.nraam.org.
- AFWA MULTISTATE CONSERVATION GRANTS . . . The Association of Fish & Wildlife Agencies is soliciting Letters of Intent for the 2017 Multistate Conservation Grant Program (MSCGP), which provides up to $6 million dollars annually for projects that address regional- or national-level priorities of the state fish and wildlife agencies through the Wildlife and Sport Fish Restoration Program. Learn more here.
- KANSAS CITY, MO., TURNS TO PROJECT CHILDSAFE . . . After a firearms incident involving a child, Capt. Ryan Mills of the Kansas City, Missouri, Police Department, in an interview with KSHB TV, reminded gun owners about NSSF's Project ChildSafe program and to pick up a free gun lock and safety brochure to help prevent firearms accidents, theft and misuse.
- SPORTSMAN'S TEAM CHALLENGE COMING TO NEBRASKA . . . Registration is now open for the Sportsman's Team Challenge, competition director Doug Koenig has announced. The event will be held at the Heartland Public Shooting Park in Alda, Nebraska, June 10-12, and will be open to the general public, industry and to all levels of shooting competitors. Visit stcnationals.com to learn more and to register.
- SEVIGNY CAPTURES USPSA AREA 6 TITLE . . . Dave Sevigny, a member of the Gaston J. Glock Style LP team, won the U.S. Practical Shooting Association's Area 6 Championship at South River Gun Club in Covington, Georgia, last week. More than 500 pistol shooters competed. Sevigny recorded his eighth all-time victory by capturing the Production class by an 86-point margin.
- HARRIS PUBLICATIONS CLOSES . . . Citing "rapid ascendance of digital media" and other challenges disrupting modern magazine publishing, Harris Publications announced last week it was shutting down, effective April 29, according to a story in Folio. The 39-year-old company produced a variety of enthusiast magazines, including many firearms and shooting titles such as Guns & Weapons, Combat Handguns, Tactical Weapons and its special interest annuals.
- FIREARMS INDUSTRY JOBS . . . Visit jobs.nssf.org for current employment opportunities in the shooting, hunting and outdoor industry. Unmatched job listing exposure, easy online job management, résumé search and résumé uploading for job seekers gives NSSF members and non-members more opportunities than ever before.
"To promote, protect and preserve hunting and the shooting sports."
Visit the NSSF website and see how we accomplish this mission.
COPYRIGHT © 2016 by National Shooting Sports Foundation, Inc. Permission is granted for broadcast, publication, retransmission to email lists, Websites or any other copying or storage, in any medium, online or not, if 1) the text is forwarded in its entirety, including this paragraph, and 2) no fee is charged. "Bullet Points®," "National Shooting Sports Foundation®," "NSSF®," and all other trade names, trademarks, service marks, logos and images of the National Shooting Sports Foundation appearing in this publication are the sole property of the Foundation and may not be used without the Foundation's prior express written permission. All other trade names, trademarks, service marks, logos and images appearing in this publication are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.