Congress Takes on Completing Export Control Reform
EXPORT CONTROL REFORM ACT IN HOUSE, COMPANION BILL IN SENATE . . . The Export Control Reform Act of 2016, H.R. 6176 in the House of Representatives and S. 3405 in the Senate, developed in consultation with NSSF, was introduced last week and aims at transferring the export licensing and enforcement oversight of sporting and commercial firearms to the Commerce Department from the State Department. "The Export Control Reform Act of 2016 seeks to complete what the Obama administration itself began," said NSSF's Lawrence G. Keane. Read the NSSF press release.
- NSSF ELECTION IMPACT WEBINARS . . . Mark your calendars for NSSF's post-election webinar series. On Nov. 16, at 10:30 a.m., Patrick Rothwell, NSSF Managing Director, Government Relations – Federal Affairs, will provide an overview of the impact of the election on Congress and federal legislation. On Nov. 17, at 10:30 a.m., Jake McGuigan, NSSF Senior Director, Government Relations – State Affairs, will offer insights on the changes to state legislatures and governor's mansions. These webinars are free of charge for NSSF members and will be recorded.
- INVITE ELECTED OFFICIALS TO VISIT . . . NSSF encourages member companies to invite Members of Congress or state legislators to visit your facility. To help you, we have put together an easy-to-use "Take Your Elected Official to Work" guide. But this effort doesn't have to stop on Election Day. In fact, the times after the election and before the new legislative sessions start in January provide an especially good window to help educate newly elected or reelected legislators.
Read NSSF's latest Government Relations Update for more.
- MODEL LETTER TO ENCOURAGE YOUR EMPLOYEES TO REGISTER, VOTE . . . The 2016 election is pivotal. To make it easier to encourage your employees to register, to inform themselves about the issues and to vote on Nov. 8, we have prepared a model letter your company's CEO can use. NSSF's #GUNVOTE is a voter registration and education campaign platform for use by firearms industry manufacturers, wholesalers, distributors, retailers and media members, as well as the pro-Second Amendment customer.
- How You Can Help:
- Download and post the #GUNVOTE icon to your website and link it to gunvote.org.
- Visit the #GUNVOTE website and encourage others to do the same.
- Help spread the word on social media and follow #GUNVOTE on Facebook and Twitter (@GUNVOTE).
- Contribute to #GUNVOTE.
- UPDATED NSSF REPORT ON FIREARMS-RELATED INJURY STATISTICS . . . NSSF has updated its Industry Intelligence Report on Firearms-Related Injury Statistics. This report is based on statistics obtained from the National Safety Council's Injury Facts 2016 Edition and demonstrates that unintentional, firearms-related fatalities remain at historically low levels.
- NEWEST NSSF SURVEY TRACKER AVAILABLE . . . The August 2016 edition of the NSSF Survey Tracker report features the top brands of firearms, scopes and binoculars purchased in May - June 2016, Market Leaders for the two product groups of game calls and shooting targets, as well as responses to questions related to hunting with youth. This edition includes a supplemental report on Modern Sporting Rifles. NSSF members can log in to view NSSF's Tracker archive.
|The best Point of Sale System for Gun Stores … POS Software
, Hardware, and Support
specifically designed to fit the needs of FLL dealers. Explore a fully integrated system that manages you're A&D book, FFL transfers, special orders, private party transfers, and more with one system. There is even an optional component for shooting range management. The integrated A&D book helps keep you compliant
without having to utilize multiple systems. Easily scan driver's licenses to add new customers, integrate with your current accounting software, and be able to print reports that will help you keep an eye on your business. From startups
to existing stores
, mom-and-pop to multi-chain stores
, the Rapid Gun System is configurable to create a perfect fit for all sizes of gun stores. Call 619-754-4100 to speak with an FFL retail experts or request a quote today
- ACUSPORT'S DOUG VANDERWOUDE JOINS RANGE COMPLIANCE WORKSHOP SPEAKER LINEUP . . . Doug VanderWoude, AcuSport's Range Program Manager, will be joining the growing list of experts speaking at NSSF's fall Lead Management and OSHA Compliance Workshop, taking place October 16-18 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Learn more.
- ATF Q&A . . . More great questions came in on our 24/7 NSSF member compliance hotline last week. One question asks whether an employee who becomes prohibited from possessing firearms can continue to be employed by an FFL.
- DID YOU KNOW? . . . A global maker of sustainable, clean air filtration systems provides NSSF members with a substantial discount on filters and filter systems. Learn more.
News of Note
- WFSA SOCIAL MEDIA WORKSHOP REGISTRATION CLOSES NEXT WEEK . . . The registration deadline is Oct. 10 for the upcoming "Social Media: The Most Powerful Weapon in Our Public Relations Arsenal" workshop, to be held Oct. 30 - Nov. 1 in Tempe, Arizona. The workshop, sponsored by the World Forum on Shooting Activities, covers how social media is shaping public opinion and how members of the shooting sports community can leverage that information to promote better understanding about lawful civilian firearm ownership and use.
- WEBINAR: HEALTHCARE FOR BUSINESSES OF ALL SIZES . . . NSSF's Firearms Industry Health Advantage is a healthcare plan that companies can offer both full-time and part-time employees and their families who may or may not have other healthcare coverage. A free 30-minute webinar discussing the advantages of the plan will be held on Oct. 6.
- BASS PRO SHOPS TO ACQUIRE CABELA'S . . . In a major consolidation of two major outdoor retailers, Bass Pro Shops announced today that it will acquire Cabela's in a $5.5 billion deal. Cabela's will become part of privately owned Bass Pro Shops, which was founded 1972 by Johnny Morris, who is the company's CEO. Read more in the companies' press release.
- NSSF PROGRAM HUNTING WORKS FOR AMERICA EXPANDS IN SOUTHERN U.S. . . . The Hunting Works For America footprint has grown again and now includes a state chapter in Alabama. The newly formed Hunting Works For Alabama partnership has nearly 50 partner organizations and will be adding dozens more in the weeks and months to come. Read more.
- BEARING ARMS LAUNCHES CAMPAIGN AGAINST DOMESTIC VIOLENCE . . . In acknowledgement of October being Domestic Violence Awareness Month, Town Hall Media's Second Amendment site, Bearing Arms, has launched Bearing Arms Against Domestic Violence to show support for survivors and raise awareness about this troubling topic. During the campaign, NSSF will remind gun owners of the importance of securely storing firearms when not in use through its Project ChildSafe program. Read Editor Jenn Jacques' post.
- PROJECT CHILDSAFE AT TWAW CONFERENCE . . . NSSF's Project ChildSafe joined with The Well Armed Woman organization at its National Leadership Conference last weekend in Jacksonville, Florida, where the program's representative spoke at the "The Next Generation" seminar. Project ChildSafe's message about the growing role of women and mothers in leading discussions on firearm safety was well received. Fifteen chapter leaders signed up to become PCS supporters on the spot.
- NSSF IN THE NEWS . . . Boston Globe, Bearing Arms, Bloomberg Businessweek, The Guardian and many other news outlets across the country included NSSF in their coverage in recent days. Popular topics included the Lawsuit Challenging Mass. Attorney General, #GUNVOTE, suicide prevention and more. View a full wrap-up of NSSF in the News.
- FIREARMS INDUSTRY JOBS . . . Visit jobs.nssf.org for current employment opportunities in the shooting, hunting and outdoor industry. Unmatched job listing exposure, easy online job management, résumé search and résumé uploading for job seekers gives NSSF members and non-members more opportunities than ever before.
"To promote, protect and preserve hunting and the shooting sports."
Visit the NSSF website and see how we accomplish this mission.
COPYRIGHT © 2016 by National Shooting Sports Foundation, Inc. Permission is granted for broadcast, publication, retransmission to email lists, Websites or any other copying or storage, in any medium, online or not, if 1) the text is forwarded in its entirety, including this paragraph, and 2) no fee is charged. "Bullet Points®," "National Shooting Sports Foundation®," "NSSF®," and all other trade names, trademarks, service marks, logos and images of the National Shooting Sports Foundation appearing in this publication are the sole property of the Foundation and may not be used without the Foundation's prior express written permission. All other trade names, trademarks, service marks, logos and images appearing in this publication are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.