Celebrate Conservation in America on NHF Day This Week
NHF DAY THIS SATURDAY . . . NSSF is proud to be a sponsor of National Hunting and Fishing Day, which will be observed this Saturday, Sept. 24, with outdoor events around the country that celebrate hunters, anglers and recreational shooters for their leadership and contributions to conservation in America. Find an event near you at www.NHFDay.org, use the hashtag "#1conservationist" and visit the NHF Day Facebook page.
- HOUSE GUN CONTROL 'TWITTERSTORM' REAPS WHIRLWIND . . . Gun control advocates in the U.S. House of Representatives, familiar from their sit-in political theater, last week attempted to summon up a "Twitterstorm" trying to pressure leadership to hold votes on gun control legislation. Instead, they reaped the whirlwind. Second Amendment advocates saw the social media activity and tweeted in force. The seemingly unknowing use of #GunVote by House Democrats actually served to benefit NSSFs ongoing #GUNVOTE voter education initiative, which picked up many new followers.
- JOIN YOUR INDUSTRY'S #GUNVOTE EFFORT . . . Colt's Manufacturing Company, FMG Publications, Fobus Holsters, Hodgdon Powder Company and Federal Premium Ammunition are among the 500 companies throughout our industry proudly displaying the #GUNVOTE icon on their websites. Your company should, too. Download and post the #GUNVOTE icon and link it to www.gunvote.org. NSSF's #GUNVOTE is a voter registration and education campaign platform for use by firearms industry manufacturers, wholesalers, distributors, retailers and media members, as well as the pro-Second Amendment customer.
- How You Can Help:
- Download and post the #GUNVOTE icon to your website and link it to gunvote.org.
- Visit the #GUNVOTE website and encourage others to do the same.
- Help spread the word on social media and follow #GUNVOTE on Facebook and Twitter (@GUNVOTE).
- Contribute to #GUNVOTE.
- TRADITIONAL AMMUNITION TARGETED . . . During the International Union for Conservation of Nature World Congress recently, an effort to call on countries to ban all hunting with traditional lead-component ammunition failed. The industry strongly opposed the draft motion calling for a complete ban as well as the more limited non-binding motion that was approved. Neither motion offer evidence that traditional ammunition poses a risk to wildlife populations or human health risk.
- MENTAL HEALTH LIFETIME PROHIBITION CHALLENGE CAN GO FORWARD . . . The Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled in Tyler v. Hillsdale last week that a legal challenge to the lifetime ban on firearm ownership due to a temporary mental health condition can go forward. Clifford Tyler was involuntarily committed to a mental institution in 1985. He filed a federal suit in 2012, arguing that, as it applied to him, the law was unconstitutional. This decision will permit him to proceed with his legal challenge.
Read NSSF's latest Government Relations Update for more.
|The best Point of Sale System for Gun Stores … POS Software
, Hardware, and Support
specifically designed to fit the needs of FLL dealers. Explore a fully integrated system that manages you're A&D book, FFL transfers, special orders, private party transfers, and more with one system. There is even an optional component for shooting range management. The integrated A&D book helps keep you compliant
without having to utilize multiple systems. Easily scan driver's licenses to add new customers, integrate with your current accounting software, and be able to print reports that will help you keep an eye on your business. From startups
to existing stores
, mom-and-pop to multi-chain stores
, the Rapid Gun System is configurable to create a perfect fit for all sizes of gun stores. Call 619-754-4100 to speak with an FFL retail experts or request a quote today
- YOUTUBE 101 WEBINAR THIS WEEK . . . You know social media is essential to growing your customer base. Facebook, Twitter and Instagram are the easiest to get the hang of, but have you explored how YouTube can boost the traffic through your door? Learn more and register.
- RETAIL SECURITY AUDIT RINGS ALL THE BELLS FOR TENN. STORE . . . Mahoney's recently took advantage of NSSF's new Retail Security Audit Program and gave it rave reviews. "We really studied what we learned from NSSF consultant Bill Napier and tried to make a list of things that were lacking in the review, but in the end we came up with not a single aspect of the audit that wasn't incredibly useful," said third-generation owner Sean Mahoney. "I highly recommend this audit to every NSSF member retailer." Learn more.
- ATF Q&A . . . More great questions came in on our 24/7 NSSF member compliance hotline last week. One question covers a common error customers continue to make, inadvertently marking box 12 as "No" on Form 4473.
- DID YOU KNOW? . . . NSSF members receive a discount on specialized, roll-cover armored firearms display cases available in handgun, long-gun and custom configurations. Learn more.
- HUNTING LICENSE SALES DATA FOR 2014 . . . The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's Hunting License Sales data for 2014 is now available on the NSSF member website, along with annual reports from previous years. The 2014 report figures indicate that paid licenses increased 3.8 percent over 2013. For a more timely update of license data, refer to the quarterly Hunting License Sales Index Report.
- 2016 Q1-Q2 HUNTING LICENSE SALES INDEX . . . Overall, hunting license sales during the first half of 2016 in the 13 participating states were down 1.4 percent compared to the same period in 2015. A summary report for this index, as well as trend data from 2009 to the present, is available on the NSSF member website under Industry Research.
News of Note
- WEBINAR: HEALTHCARE FOR BUSINESSES OF ALL SIZES . . . Did you know that NSSF has a healthcare plan you can offer both full-time and part-time employees and their families who have or may not have other healthcare coverage? NSSF's Firearms Industry Health Advantage provides access to free 24/7 phone or online consultations with physicians and a host of other benefits. Join us Oct. 6 for a free 30-minute webinar to learn more.
- VISTA OUTDOOR'S ROBERT J. KELLAR JOINS NSSF BOARD OF GOVERNORS . . . Robert J. Keller, President of Vista Outdoor, has joined NSSF's Board of Governors. Keller has served as president and CEO of Escalade, Inc., president of Disston Tool Company, division president of Russell Corporation, as a managing director with Coca-Cola and vice president of sales and marketing for Clorox's Armor All Home Care Division. Read more.
- ATF LAUNCHES ANONYMOUS TIP APP . . . The ATF has launched a mobile app that enables the anonymous reporting of information regarding crimes or that could be used to help prevent their commission. With the reportit app, available through the App Store or on Google Play, citizens can submit a tip and attach a photo or video. The information is forwarded to ATF in real time, but should not be used to report a crime in progress.
- PLANNED GIVING BRINGS BIG BENEFITS TO YOUTH SHOOTING . . . The late Charles Gates, a member of the National Skeet Shooting Association, instructed his estate to sell his prized Krieghoff shotgun collection and donate the proceeds in support of youth shooting initiatives of NSSA and the Scholastic Shooting Sports Foundation. His estate benefited from the tax advantages of planned giving, and his thoughtfulness enabled him to further his passion to support youth shooting long after his passing.
- U.S. PARALYMPICS SHOOTING ATHLETE MAKES HISTORY . . . McKenna Dahl became the first woman to win a Paralympic medal in shooting for the United States. The youngest shooter and only woman among eight to reach the finals round, Dahl, 20, captured a bronze medal in the R5 (Mixed 10m Air Rifle Prone SH2) event in Rio de Janeiro last week. Read more.
- N.Y. STATE OUTDOOR WRITERS RECEIVE CRAFT AWARDS . . . Winners in the New York State Outdoor Writers Association's annual writing and photography contest were honored at the organization's annual banquet, sponsored by the NSSF, at the Peak 'N Peak Resort in Clymer, New York, Sept. 17. See the winners.
- NSSF IN THE NEWS . . . Bloomberg Businessweek, Guns.com, Stars and Stripes, Bearing Arms and many other news outlets across the country included NSSF in their coverage in recent days. Popular topics included #GUNVOTE, suicide prevention, National Hunting and Fishing Day and more. View a full wrap-up of NSSF in the News.
- FIREARMS INDUSTRY JOBS . . . Visit jobs.nssf.org for current employment opportunities in the shooting, hunting and outdoor industry. Unmatched job listing exposure, easy online job management, résumé search and résumé uploading for job seekers gives NSSF members and non-members more opportunities than ever before.
"To promote, protect and preserve hunting and the shooting sports."
Visit the NSSF website and see how we accomplish this mission.
COPYRIGHT © 2016 by National Shooting Sports Foundation, Inc. Permission is granted for broadcast, publication, retransmission to email lists, Websites or any other copying or storage, in any medium, online or not, if 1) the text is forwarded in its entirety, including this paragraph, and 2) no fee is charged. "Bullet Points®," "National Shooting Sports Foundation®," "NSSF®," and all other trade names, trademarks, service marks, logos and images of the National Shooting Sports Foundation appearing in this publication are the sole property of the Foundation and may not be used without the Foundation's prior express written permission. All other trade names, trademarks, service marks, logos and images appearing in this publication are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.