Firearms Industry Jobs Board
a Hit with Employers and Job Seekers
Since launching in June, NSSF's new and improved Firearms Industry Jobs board is one of the most visited areas of the NSSF website each month (and the most popular link each week in Bullet Points) providing access to top talent and top positions. The site gives employers unparalleled access to professionals within our industry, and allows job seekers to view highly sought-after jobs. So far, industry candidates have uploaded more than 550 searchable resumes (and rising each day) and submitted over 900 applications. Target your search or set up an alert and wait for the perfect match. View current job postings and create an employer account.
- FRATERNAL ORDER OF POLICE SUPPORT NSSF's PROJECT CHILDSAFE GRANT . . . The 330,000-member strong Fraternal Order of Police (FOP) is supporting the U.S. Department of Justice $2.4 million cooperative grant to NSSF that will enable Project ChildSafe to expand its firearms safety efforts. In a letter to U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch, FOP National President Chuck Canterbury said, "Law Enforcement agencies across the country consider Project ChildSafe gun locks and safety materials to be a valuable component to their community safety and outreach programs."
- CALIFORNIANS, URGE GOV. BROWN TO VETO AB 96 & SB 347 . . . The California Legislature has sent Gov. Jerry Brown two misguided bills. AB 96 would end the state exemption allowing possession with intent to sell, or sale, of ivory. SB 347 would add to the list of misdemeanor convictions that would prohibit someone from possessing a firearm for 10 years. Brown has until Oct. 11 but could act at any time on these bills. See the NSSF Legislative Action Alerts: AB 96 | SB 347.
- LEGAL ROUNDUP . . . U.S. Supreme Court justices will soon decide whether they should consider Friedman v. Highland Park, following an appeals court decision that upheld the Chicago suburb's ban on modern sporting rifles. NSSF filed friend of the court briefs in the appeal and with the U.S. Supreme Court. A California Superior Court ruling this summer dismissed the industry's challenge to the state's microstamping requirement, citing the doctrine of sovereign immunity. NSSF's challenge to that ruling is now on the state appellate court's docket.
Read NSSF's latest Government Relations Update.
NSSF AND PROJECT CHILDSAFE AT NATIONAL SAFETY COUNCIL SHOW . . . NSSF is among the exhibitors at the National Safety Council Expo and Conference this week in Atlanta, attended by more than 14,000 workplace safety professionals. At our Project ChildSafe-themed booth, attendees learn how to educate their employees and communities about firearm safety practices.
HARTFORD COURANT EDITORIAL BACKS NSSF GRANT . . . “Some critics are taking a short-sighted approach by questioning the propriety of a $2.4 million federal grant to the gun industry's trade and lobbying association to promote gun locks and storage,” said the Hartford Courant in an editorial today. The editorial explained that two anti-gun groups wanted the Department of Justice to cancel its grant to NSSF and pointed out “... if gun locks and the storage of guns already in circulation saves lives, the grant money will be well spent.”
SMITH & WESSON RETURNS AS PLATINUM SHOT SHOW UNIVERSITY SPONSOR . . . NSSF is pleased to announce that Smith & Wesson is the Platinum Sponsor of the 2016 SHOT Show University retailer education seminar for the third consecutive year. As the premier event for firearms retailers, SHOT Show University is always a sellout, thanks to its multiple learning tracks geared to address the business needs and practices of retailers both new to the business and those more veteran store and range owners. Read more about SHOT Show University.
ORCHID ADVISORS, EPICOR JOIN TOGETHER AS GOLD SPONSORS OF SHOT SHOW UNIVERSITY . . . NSSF is pleased to announce that Orchid Advisors and Epicor Software Corporation have jointly become the newest Gold-level sponsors of the 2016 SHOT Show University. Based in Hartford, Connecticut, Orchid Advisors is a management consultancy serving all manufacturers, wholesalers and retailers in the firearms trade, with an emphasis on issues of compliance. Epicor, based in Austin, Texas, is a gloabl leader in business software solutions. Read more.
WIN DINNER FOR TWO IN VEGAS . . . Retailers like Silver State Tactical, LLC have enough first-hand experience to qualify as subject matter experts when it comes to SHOT Show, and we want to hear from you. Send us your tips and advice - the good, the bad and the ugly - for having a successful SHOT Show, and you might be dining on us. Four random submissions will be selected, one per month, for a gift certificate good for dinner for two.
SHOT Show University
- HARRY McCABE AND WALLY NELSON JOIN SPEAKER LINEUP . . . NSSF is pleased to announce that former ATF Deputy Assistant Directors Harry McCabe and Wally Nelson will be hosting several SHOT Show University sessions. McCabe is a member of NSSF’s FFL Compliance Consultant Team and frequently contributes to NSSF’s news section for retailers. Nelson is also on NSSF’s FFL Compliance Consultant Team and has had some of the most well attended SHOT Show University sessions.
- DID YOU KNOW? . . . NSSF's partnership with a U.S. maker of specialized, roll-cover armored firearms display cases provides a special discount for NSSF members. Cases are available in both handgun and long-gun configurations, and cases can be custom configured. Find out more.
- ATF Q&A . . . More great questions came in on our 24/7 NSSF member compliance hotline last week. One question covers how a licensee should proceed when law enforcement requests an original 4473. Another question covers how to respond to a request to trace a firearm.
- 2014 U.S. FIREARM PRODUCTION INTERIM DATA POSTED . . . NSSF reports that the 2014 Interim Annual Firearms Manufacturing and Export Report (AFMER) has been posted to the ATF website. The interim report shows a total of 8,994,301 firearms were manufactured in the US in 2014 which is the second highest figure on record. The full AFMER data for 2014 is expected to be posted in January 2016. NSSF's latest Industry Intelligence Report on Firearms Production in the United States can be viewed by NSSF business members by logging in here.
News of Note
- STARLIGHT 3-GUN SHOWCASES COMPETITION IN SPECTATOR-FRIENDLY FORMAT . . . Held September 24-25, 2015 in conjunction with the NRA’s World Shooting Championship, the premiere Starlight 3-Gun event delivered a level of entertainment unheard of at any other shooting competition. A unique combination of top-level events offered day- and night -competition featuring the world’s top shooters in everything from cowboy action to sporting clays competing for the richest purses ever offered. Watch video of professional shooter B.J. Norris on stage 3. NSSF was the Platinum sponsor of this year’s event.
- FIREARMS INDUSTRY JOBS . . . Visit jobs.nssf.org for current employment opportunities in the shooting, hunting and outdoor industry. Unmatched job listing exposure, easy online job management, résumé search and résumé uploading for job seekers gives NSSF members and non-members more opportunities than ever before.
"To promote, protect and preserve hunting and the shooting sports."
Visit the NSSF website and see how we accomplish this mission.
COPYRIGHT © 2015 by National Shooting Sports Foundation, Inc. Permission is granted for broadcast, publication, retransmission to email lists, Websites or any other copying or storage, in any medium, online or not, if 1) the text is forwarded in its entirety, including this paragraph, and 2) no fee is charged. "Bullet Points®," "National Shooting Sports Foundation®," "NSSF®," and all other trade names, trademarks, service marks, logos and images of the National Shooting Sports Foundation appearing in this publication are the sole property of the Foundation and may not be used without the Foundation's prior express written permission. All other trade names, trademarks, service marks, logos and images appearing in this publication are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.