Mossberg Contributes $150,000 to #GUNVOTE
MOST IMPORTANT ELECTION EVER . . . With the balance of the Supreme Court at stake, this election is undoubtedly the most important ever for the future of our firearm freedoms. Recognizing this, O.F. Mossberg & Sons has joined NSSF's #GUNVOTE President's Club, committing $150,000 in support of the association's critical voter registration and education campaign. This is the largest donation the #GUNVOTE campaign has received to date. Visit gunvote.org to learn more about the campaign.
- How You Can Help:
- Download and post the #GUNVOTE icon to your website and link it to gunvote.org.
- Visit the #GUNVOTE website and encourage others to do the same.
Mass. Attorney General Maura Healy Unilaterally Bans Legal, Commonly Owned Firearms
MASS. CITIZENS PROTEST . . . Gun owners from across the Commonwealth of Massachusetts traveled to Boston Saturday to protest Attorney General Maura Healey's unilateral decision last week to ban previously legal modern sporting rifles and more that she labelled "copycat" assault rifles — a move that turns law-abiding gun owners into potential felons. NSSF released a statement following the event, has already begun working with member companies and state lawmakers and is weighing legal action.
- TRUMP ACCEPTS REPUBLICAN NOMINATION . . . The Republican Party officially nominated Donald Trump for president last week. In accepting the nomination, he called out Hillary Clinton, who will be nominated as the Democratic candidate this week. "My opponent wants to essentially abolish the Second Amendment," Trump said. "I on the other hand received the early and strong endorsement of the National Rifle Association. And will protect the right of all Americans to keep their families safe." Read more.
- SECOND AMENDMENT AT FOREFRONT AT GOP CONVENTION . . . Republican Presidential nominee Donald Trump, Vice Presidential nominee Mike Pence, RNC Chairman Reince Preibus, Eric Trump, Donald Trump Jr. and NRA-ILA Executive Director Chris Cox all discussed the importance of protecting the Second Amendment in speeches at the Republican National Convention. As Democrats assemble this week in Philadelphia to nominate Hillary Clinton, it will be a drastically different message.
- DEL. GOVERNOR SIGNS SUNDAY HUNTING BILL . . . The NSSF-supported Delaware Sunday hunting bill has been signed by Gov. Jack Markell. NSSF thanks all the legislators who supported this important bill along with the members and co-chairs of the Delaware Sportsmen's Caucus. The bill allows for deer hunting on five Sundays during the hunting season at the discretion of private property owners and on public lands to be designated by the Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control following public hearings.
Read NSSF's latest Government Relations Update for more.
- WEBINAR: QUALIFYING TO ENGAGE IN BUSINESS AND NFA FORMS . . . Former ATF Deputy Assistant Director and NSSF Compliance Consultant Wally Nelson will cover qualifying under the National Firearms Act and NFA Forms — in particular, changes in procedures and forms from the recent ATF Rulemaking 41-F. This free webinar will take place Tomorrow, July 26, from 2-3 p.m. EDT and is available to NSSF members only.
- TAKE NSSF RANGE SURVEY TO RECEIVE FREE REPORT . . . Range owners interested in participating in an NSSF-funded range survey will receive a full report with the aggregated results. The survey will take approximately 20 minutes to complete and will cover topics pertaining to customer demographics, range fees and participation.
- RESPONDING TO A BURGLARY . . . Reacting to a crisis call in the middle of the night can be quite a challenge for a firearms retailer. If you haven't thought through what to do in a situation like this, now's the time, because there are several key things to have in place before a burglary occurs that can make your middle-of-the-night-experience a little easier to bear. Read more.
- ATF Q&A . . . More great questions came in on our 24/7 NSSF member compliance hotline last week. One question asks if the federal firearms law requires licensees to comply with state laws and local published ordinances when selling firearms.
- DID YOU KNOW? . . . NSSF Members receive a discount on specialty closure systems designed to restrict access to your store, warehouse, outbuildings and other structures. Learn more.
- USITC FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION DATA FOR MAY . . . NSSF tracks and reports monthly and quarterly U.S. import and export units for several sporting arms, ammunition and optics categories from the U.S. International Trade Commission. See a complete breakdown for May 2016 compared to May 2015. NSSF members may access additional historical import and export data by logging in and clicking NSSF Industry Research.
News of Note
- NEW ARS PLAYBOOK . . . Americans for Responsible Solutions, the Gun Control Group led by former Arizona Congresswoman Gabby Giffords (D) and her husband Mark Kelly, released a new playbook for anti-gun lawmakers and advocates about how to craft a more effective message when promoting gun control efforts. In reference to the strategy, NSSF's Larry Keane told Politico, "Saying it isn't gun control doesn't mean it isn't gun control. Their agenda remains the same." Read more.
- NSSF AT OWAA CONFERENCE . . . The Outdoor Writers Association of America (OWAA) conducted its 89th annual conference in Billings, Montana, last week, attracting more than 300 members and supporters. Two important outdoor themes were the focus: new ideas for conservation funding and transfer of public lands. NSSF sponsored the combined Breakout Day/Shooting Day luncheon to remind those in attendance, including more than 60 first-timers, about the many resources it offers outdoor journalists.
- NEW OWAA OFFICERS . . . At its 89th annual conference, the Outdoor Writers Association of America (OWAA) announced new officers. Brett Prettyman, longtime outdoor journalist with the Salt Lake City Tribune and now with Trout Unlimited, succeeds Lisa Ballard as OWAA President. Paul Queneau, an editor at Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation's Bugle magazine, was elected second vice president, and Colleen Miniuk-Sperry, an award-winning photographer, was elected secretary. Outdoor radio personality Ty Stockton continues as treasurer.
- FIREARMS INDUSTRY JOBS . . . Visit jobs.nssf.org for current employment opportunities in the shooting, hunting and outdoor industry. Unmatched job listing exposure, easy online job management, résumé search and résumé uploading for job seekers gives NSSF members and non-members more opportunities than ever before.
- THANK YOU TO LATEST NSSF EVENT SPONSORS . . . NSSF recently announced that the Bradley law firm has signed to be a Bronze sponsor of the 2016 Import/Export Conference. For more information on sponsorship opportunities for upcoming events, contact Chris Tatulli at firstname.lastname@example.org.
"To promote, protect and preserve hunting and the shooting sports."
Visit the NSSF website and see how we accomplish this mission.
COPYRIGHT © 2016 by National Shooting Sports Foundation, Inc. Permission is granted for broadcast, publication, retransmission to email lists, Websites or any other copying or storage, in any medium, online or not, if 1) the text is forwarded in its entirety, including this paragraph, and 2) no fee is charged. "Bullet Points®," "National Shooting Sports Foundation®," "NSSF®," and all other trade names, trademarks, service marks, logos and images of the National Shooting Sports Foundation appearing in this publication are the sole property of the Foundation and may not be used without the Foundation's prior express written permission. All other trade names, trademarks, service marks, logos and images appearing in this publication are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.